Can anyone believe it??!!

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Tom Butts
Site Admin

Can anyone believe it??!!

Post by Tom Butts »

Have you all checked out the Norwegian "Sniper" model rifle on the Gunbroker auction site? Now I like a rare, Norwegian Krag as much as the next guy, but these people are getting carried away!!!! The bidding is up to over $3500 and it still has something like 6 days left!!!!

I don't know, maybe these guys know something about this gun that I don't, but, unless the magazine is filled with diamonds or something, I can't see bidding that high on it!!!

A person could buy 5 - 10 Krags for this money. Oh well, just my opinion....... and I wish it was my gun selling at that price!!!!!

Regards,

Tom
[glb]KCA[/glb]

Nord

Re: Can anyone believe it??!!

Post by Nord »

Hmm, maybe if Fridtjof Nansen or Roald Amundsen had used it on one of their polar expeditions and the rifle had their name on it....
I mean, who wouldn't like to be the owner of the first rifle to ever reach the South Pole?

But if this "sniper" model Krag actually sell for 3500US$, it's a clear indication that the buyer (and the other bidders) need to have their heads examined by qualified personel at some mental institution...

Just my humble opinion.

Keep your powder dry boys!
Nord

Olsen

Post by Olsen »

Tom, very polite and diplomatic way to state your "honest opinion". Too bad the newbie "Nerd" I mean nord doesn't have the same tact. I'm suprised you let that type of a flame/knock on those sniper bidders on this forum. You think they won't read this? Maybe they do know something we don't. What a "put down" re: the "mental institution" and all................... Certainly not a "humble opinion" by any means in my book. I decided I had to address it if no one else would.

Don_B._in_KS.

Post by Don_B._in_KS. »

I will point out that, though Nord is identified as a 'Newbie' he is as good of an authority on Norwegian Krags as I have found, the equivalent to Col. Mook or Marty Wagner on the U.S. Krags. I have been enjoying his input since the old 'Gun & Knife' days and he has been uniformly helpful and accurate. If his words seem harsh and opinionated, be aware that there are others who can be far grumpier but who still know quite a bit. Making fun of a persons nick-name isn't really a friendly way to say that you disagree with them, especially if you are trying for the moral high ground. I suppose now this will become some sort of an ugly name calling thing and I regret that but I can't sit by and watch someone I like and respect get kicked either.

Nord

Post by Nord »

Well Mr. Olsen

You can call me Emily, Sue or Josephine for all I care, it will not change the fact that I think the Krag in mention is heading for a way too high prize!
In fact I'd say it's allready gone up to 6-7 times what I'd pay for it.
And I wouldn't dream of paying even that before I could make absolutely sure that the rifle is authentic, and wich model it is.
There isn't much difference between a civillian and a military model.
Also, the Kongsberg armoury made some extra series after the war using left over parts and recycled rifles from earlier productions.

Would you pay the same amount of cash for a WWII standard issue Colt 45 without watertight proof that General Patton himself had actually used it during the war?

Me neither.
Nord

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

WOW this has become a hot issue!!
I am watching the bidding on this gun myself and in the early stages had hoped to bid my self. When the price went over $1500.00 with a week left I knew it was out of my league by a mile. While these guns are an uncommon sight in this country I too believe that the bidding got a little out of control. But to each his own! If they have the money and wnat it that bad then go for it I guess. Unfortunatly, bidding like that will likely falsly inflate the the market value of other Norwegian krags that those of us with less resourses can afford , that is my concern on this issue. But all I can do now is watch and wait.
As to Nord's coment. I have heard the phrase "he needs his head examined" more times than I can count. It is commonly used and is only phrase. Nord has only used the "full length verson" as upposed to the condensed one that most use. It is ony phrase used to make an obvious point that things took off for what ever reason and "in my humble opinion" was not ment literaly. Nord is our "resident expert" on Norwegians and probably has more insight on marke value which I think is what fueled the comment. As Don said there are others out there that would be less kind!!
Now it is time mellow out.
Ned

Martin Wagner

Post by Martin Wagner »

Mr. Olsen:

You are way out of line with your comments about Nord, and I expect that you will see the errors of your post and offer a sincere apology. I have dealt with Nord both on the old G&K Forum and personally by mail, and have found him to be honest and sincere. and I am certain that he will not respond to your unknowlegeable, iname and childish comments.

I too agree that there were actual snipers for both military and civilian issue and a large number put together for hunters after 1950.

Olsen

Post by Olsen »

I am not questioning Nord's expertise, only his consideration for other's feelings that are bidding on that item. I doubt anyone any :-* ;)one would bid that kind of money unless they HAD done their research first. Nord, did you research what the going market value for this rifle was before you made your statements? I'll bet the bidders did. Mr. Ned Schwing, in his Military Firearms Guide states in EX cond. it's worth $3500. What a coincidence, the current high bid! And, his estimations generally run approx. 25% under actual market value. I understand you wouldn't spend that kind of money for this rifle, but apparently they would.

Olsen

Post by Olsen »

Dear Martin, Are you referring to my comments being unknowledgable, childish, and iname{?}, or Nord's? As far as you agreeing there were civilian sniper rifles{really?} and military sniper rifles and it may not be worth that much wasn't my point. If that is a "real" military sniper, then it is worth exactly what has been bid on it so far, or more. Also, if it is the fair going price for a rifle of its kind, how does that inflate the other Krag prices for the rest of us less funded folks? The bidding might not even be over yet! :-* :-* :-*

Martin Wagner

Post by Martin Wagner »

Dear Mr. Olsen:

In response to your {really} the answer is YES!

My comments referred to your answer.....and I apologize
for the harshness!

As for the value of that rifle......anything that is not essential to life, namely collectables, is worth whatever someone is willing to pay at any given time. That does not establish a true value, which can only be set by averaging out at least 6 recent sales.

Remember.......you have a lot of people out there with more money than brains who are buying mainly for ego purposes. You see that at auctions all the time......people buying just so someone else can't have it, or for bragging rights.