1912 Krag carbine

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Jim Irvin

1912 Krag carbine

Post by Jim Irvin »

Hi All; I purchased an all matching serial number Norwegian Krag carbine that had met a very hungry beaver before I came into possesson of it. That beaver chewed this stock into something resembling a sporter rifle. This 1916 manufactured carbine has a serial number of 13086 and the metal finish is 80% or better. All the other parts contain the last 3 digits. The trigger guard has a flat metal piece with a hole through it (I'm told that that is what conferms that it's a true carbine). The only thing messed with appears to be the stock and stock hardware. The rear barrel band appears to have been modified. The remainder of the wood forward of this band and metal is missing. All the metal to the rear of this band is still present. Is it still possable to find Military stocks and front hardware for this rifle? I would like to return it to military appearence. TIA from sunny Fla.; MP78 Host & Moderator for Parallax's C&R Firearms Forums Swedish Mauser Forum

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Re: 1912 Krag carbine

Post by Ned Butts »

Hi Jim,
I am in the middle of a similar project. I have found that parts are hard to find, both here and in Norway. It seems that we should be able to find the parts here as I have been told that most of the 1912 carbines were surplused to the US in the 50's. Many seem to have been sporterized by cutting the stock and removing most other parts, so the metal parts should be out there. I am guessing that, unfortunatly, most were probably tossed out at the time with no thought of historical rebuilds! I finally broke bown and had a military stock duplicated. It is excellent but it was not cheap. I am still looking for the nose piece/bayonet lug, with out any leads at this point.
So I wish you luck, and if I end up with extra parts I will post and let you know.
Ned

Jim Irvin

Re: 1912 Krag carbine

Post by Jim Irvin »

Thanks for the information. I've e-mailed Trond and Nord and they gave me basically the same type of reply. Very hard to find parts in Norway as most were exported. They still offered to help and Trond posted a message on a site in Norway. I'm not scared of a long drawn out search. I just found a stockset for a Swede m/94-14 carbine after looking for over 2 yrs. Sign me up for the long wait and I'll post more info after a trip to the range. OH! One of my collector freinds told me he has one too, so I need to find two sets. I say, he's still waiting on a m/94-14 so he can wait on this too. Jim