M1898 Sights and Price

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
fox4

M1898 Sights and Price

Post by fox4 »

Went to CADA several weeks ago and saw a couple of Krags. Both in decent shape, same price ($650), same approximate SN range. One had a longer sight than the other (SN 454123). The sight was about 3 inches long (marked 0-20 in 100 yard increments). The other (SN 410956) shorter sight, with matching handguard was perhaps 2 inches long (marked 7-18 in 100 yard increments). It also had a lighter wood. I have a Springfield Arms book that acknowledges the M1898 had
3 different sights, and 4 different handguards. Since both rifles are in similar condition, my instinct is to go with the longer version, but the other one seemed to draw me to it. Go figure. I read that by 1902, all M1898's were refit with the longer sight. Both stocks had clear "1902" Cartouches. I intend to visit the owner this week (I will bring a bore light) and can probably get him down to $575-600. Seen reasonable? I collect WWI and WWII US Military, but have no Krags. Anything particular to Krags I should look for. Any advantage in taking the one with the shorter sight and lighter wood vs the other? Any help will be appreciated. TIA Stu

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Re: M1898 Sights and Price

Post by Ned Butts »

Hi Stu,
It seems to me that the "short" sight is a M'96 and wouldn't have been isued on gun with that serial number. Also it is unlikely that a military armorer, would have put it on a repair job as updated sight should have been available. While all parts are original Krag parts the one with the "long" sight would more likely be "original as issued" and probably worth a little more for that reason. Go to our home page and check the picture section and verify the sight models you have.
The asking price seems about average. I would deffinately try to get him down to the range you mentioned.
Good Luck,
Ned

fox4

Re: M1898 Sights and Price

Post by fox4 »

Thanks Ned. I'll let you know if I get it. Stu