Krag 1896/1902 Questions

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Anthony Kornasiewicz

Krag 1896/1902 Questions

Post by Anthony Kornasiewicz »

Gentlemen,
Perhaps you could help a new enthusiast?

I recently purchased (price pending) a Krag rifle marked "MODEL1896 SPRINGFIELD ARMORY 57854" on the receiver. The rear sight and coresponding handgaurd appear to be the 1902 pattern (as per the photos on your fine web page). The rifle has a 30" barrel, which seems to have a slightly better bluing then the rest of the hardware (which has about 60% remaining finish). The stock is in excellent condition, but has no cartouche except a faint one behind the trigger gaurd. My interest in purchasing this rifle is not to get rich, but to obtain a type of rifle that has fascinated me for years, (They always seem to have been built by skilled watchmakers).

Can anyone please tell me what kind of Krag, or alterred variant, I have.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Tony Kornasiewicz

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Re: Krag 1896/1902 Questions

Post by Ned Butts »

Hello, Tony,
Your Krag was originaly produced in 1896. The serial number doesn't show up on my SRS list unfortunatly.
Late in there service life many older Krags, both '96 and '98's were sent back to the armory and re fitted to the most recent specs. Some were fitted with M'01 sights and reissued to regular army units until the M1903 Springfield production met demands. Others were set up with M'02 sights, like yours, and reissued to Milita/National Guard units. The circle p behind the trigger guard is a test firing proof that is on all guns that were refitted at the armory, but not on those with field replacement stocks. As guns were only cartuched on their original acceptance by the inspector, refitted guns like yours won't have a cartouche. It sound like you have a very nice Krag. They are finely made smooth working guns! I hope you shoot it and enjoy it!
Ned

Anthony Kornasiewicz

Re: Krag 1896/1902 Questions

Post by Anthony Kornasiewicz »

Thanks Ned.

Knowing a little of the history of a rifle adds greatly to its enjoyment. I took the rifle to the range yesterday, and went from just enjoying it to something aproaching love! Thanks again,

Tony