1898 carbine? please help

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
William Berger

1898 carbine? please help

Post by William Berger »

I recently purchased a Krag and I am trying to find out all I can about it. I paid $250 and it is about Blue Book 80% condition for bluing and wear.Here is all the info I have and can figure out. The s/n: 451020. The action is stamped: "U.S. MODEL 1898. SPRINGFIELD ARMORY. 451020" The barrel is 24" long and the sight base is steel soldered to the barrel. But the blade is brass and sits in a slot and is pinned to the sight base. The stock is 31 1/2" long. Unfortunately someone cut about 1/8" off the butt and put on a rubber recoil pad. But the buttplate tang inletting is still there. It appears that it was a rifle stock that was cut down since I can see an insert where the lightening slot was. There is a sling swivel in the butt and also on the barrel band. There is no retainer or spring that holds the barrel band on. There is a approx 3/32" dia pin that goes through the stock immediately in front of the barrel band. The band is 8 5/8" in front of the receiver. The rear sight is missing but the base is there. It is rectangular and measures 3 5/16" x 5/8" x appx 3/8" thick on the edge. is has a 3/8" dovetail 1/2" from the front of the base. What rear sight do I need and what is the value? If you can give me any info about this I would appreciate it.

William Berger

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Re: 1898 carbine? please help

Post by Ned Butts »

Hello William,
As you suspected your Krag is a cut down rifle. The serial number puts it in the 1903 production range but it doesn't show up on the SRS list that I have. Someone spent a little extra time on it though by moving the original front sight base back insted of slipping a band sight on it. Your rearsight base sound like it could be a M'01, go to the pictures section of our home page and see if any of the sights pictured there look similar. It sounds like you got a good solid, fun shooter and I don't think you paid too much for it! Thanks for all the info.
Enjoy it,
Ned
PS Repro front sight blades are available from S&S Firearms at www.SSFirearms.com

William Berger

Post by William Berger »

Thank you so much for your help. I am new to Krags but I am developing a serious love affair with them. I looked at the pitcures and I do believe it is a 1901 rear sight base. Is it supposed to be dovetailed though. I couldnt tell from the pitcures. Also is there a source for reproduction sights for this rifle? And what handguard do I put on it? Is their a source for the retainer clips? Sorry about all the questions. It has been a blast to shoot and will shoot under 2 1/2" even with the open sights.
William Berger

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

Hello William,
The dovetail does not belong there. It is probably just oldtime gunsmithing creativity! The M'01 rifle sight takes an '01 hand guard. If you don't have a hand guard and/or sight already it might be easier to buy a hand guard first then match the rear sight to it as sights seem to be easier to come by tha hand guards. No repros that I know of but S&S lists M'98 & M'02 complete rear sights for $40.00 ea and they also have hand guard clips. The sights show up on ebay, auction arms and gunbroker from time to time. Also check our classifieds, there are some parts for sale there. Sounds like you got a good shooter!
Enjoy,
Ned

William Berger

Post by William Berger »

I have been a competitive shooter since 16 and always had the notion that faster was better. And high tech was the answer. As my competition guns will testify. But there is something about these old rifles that pulls you in a way that a synthetic stocked, high powered scope, match barreled wonder guns cant. Maybe it is the nostalgia or history of the individual piece. Maybe something much deeper. I really appreciate all of your help in answering my naive questions. I have learned much about my newest piece of history and that gives it a special place in my collection. I will try and post pics of the restoration process as it goes.

William Berger