Serial Number Check

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
dud614

Serial Number Check

Post by dud614 »

I was reading on CSP 's Krag Forum and learned of this site. I have a Krag with date 1895 and serial number 28430. It fit completely the description of an 1896 carbine ,barrel length, stock length, letter "C" stamped in two places on rear sight. It was weird to read the description because it was identical to mine. I have letters CP and numbers 91 stamped on stock near butt plate, eleven notches behind trigger guard but the plate and saddle ring are missing with the letters" D L" scratched in the wood which would have been covered. This weapon is been in my family for a while and I just showed it to my kids. 107 years old and still ticking. It is indeed a thing of beauty. I am new to this site but will be back, often. Any info on s/n would be appreciated. Larry in Tampa

Hal_Beatty

Re: Serial Number Check

Post by Hal_Beatty »

28430 is not listed by SRS, but that serial is right in the middle of about 6 pages of 96 carbines. Falls between 28424 issued to the 1st USVC and 28437 which was sold by Raritan Arsenal in 1922. So it almost certainly is a "real" 96 carbine.

The saddle rings were available from Joe DeCristopher a year or two ago, so you might check with him if you wanted to fill in the empty spot in the side of the stock.

Regards,
Hal Beatty

dud614

Re: Serial Number Check

Post by dud614 »

Thank you for the information, Hal. I will try to get the saddle ring. Larry M.