Krags in World War One

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Krags are cool

Krags in World War One

Post by Krags are cool »

I have talked to some WWI veterans in the past that said they used Krag rifles during the war. I would assume because there was a shortage of M1903s and M1917 Enfields. These veterans said the Krag they had was shortened, but the stock still ran the full length of the barrel, similar to the Philippine constabulary Krag rifle/carbine. I have seen a few of these shortened Krag rifles or converted carbines that were the same length as a M1903 Springfield. Also I have seen photos of WWI doughboys with shortened Krag rifles. Before the 03 was adopted, I know the military did experimented with the Krag by shortening barrel and stock. Also they converted some of the old Krag carbines as well with a full stock and bayonet lug. My question is did the military really continue this practice for WWI to make all Krag rifles the same length as 1903s and 1917 Enfield? Does anybody out there have any more info to confirm this practice?

Martin Wagner

Re: Krags in World War One

Post by Martin Wagner »

Sir: I believe that you have a lot of wrong information. Most of the Krags used during WWI were used either stateside because of the shortage of .30-06 in Europe as training rifles or for guard duty or other non-combat role.

Never heard of the military experimenting with cut down rifles except for the Constabulary and would really like to know the source of these photos of WWI soldiers with shortened rifles. That would be a discovery!

To answer the question all Krag rifles were made with 30" barrels with very few exceptions. Regular production ceased in 1904 with the last 80 Krag made. Confirmation of this practice would revolutionize the school of Krag collecting.

Respectfully suggest you purchase a copy of Mallory (rev) or Brophy. HTH.

tom_markert

Re: Krags in World War One

Post by tom_markert »

I was under the impession that the US Navy used Krags aboard ship during WW1. I have not been able to find any info on that however. My Grandfather said he used one when he was in the Navy in 1917.