dtowers

serial number check

Post by dtowers »

SRC CARBINE #76970
any info would be great

Hal_Beatty

Re: serial number check

Post by Hal_Beatty »

76970 doesn't show up in the list in Mallory's book, but falls between 76949 and 76988 which are both listed as being issued to Troop A, 1st Nev. Volunteer Cav. in 1899. So no telling what its service history was.
Regards,
Hal Beatty

royce

Post by royce »

It took a long time to find this place but I got here. I've been searchng the 'net for Krag info and there ain't alot!

Well, I got hold of a Krag & I'm trying to find out everything i can about it, so any help would b appreciated.

Here it is:

Model 1898
Carbine Stock
22" Barrel
stamped 1901
Cartouche 'JSA'
Ser #488xxx

The front site is a little strange for a military site. Has a space under the blade.

The gun is in vry good condition.
Any help would be a help.

Thanks!

Hal_Beatty

Post by Hal_Beatty »

Royce,
Well, about all I can tell you about 488??? is that it is probably one of the last Krags produced in 1903 or early 1904, and would have started life as a rifle, as all carbine production was over by then.

Has the stock been cut down, or is it a true carbine stock? A cut down rifle stock will have had the cleaning rod groove filled with a piece of wood. Also, carbine stocks never came with sling swivels.

Is the front sight pinned to a base that's been brazed into a dovetail in the top of the barrel or is it attached to a band around the front of the barrel. Don't exactly know what a "space" under the front sight would look like, but I've got a junker with a Springfield band on it minus the retaining key and so it's got half a keyway showing.

By the way, a full serial number usually helps to check SRS listings.
Regards,
Hal Beatty

royce

Post by royce »

Thanks, Hal.

I'll try to get some pics of this rifle (carbine) to help others help me.

Sorry about the serial number but I was alway taught never to post a complete serial # on the 'net. Also, I am not the owner, so I would have to get permission from my friend to post it.

William R. Mook

Post by William R. Mook »

I know you were taught never to give a serial number on the net but, ask mom if you can give the length of the stock, ie., 30" or 32"??
Bill Mook

Hal_Beatty

Post by Hal_Beatty »

Col. Mook
Glad to see you on the forum!