Serial Number Check

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
AlmostAntique

Serial Number Check

Post by AlmostAntique »

???
Can a member or knowledgeable guest please give me information on a US Springfield Krag, receiver marked 1894, serial 2663. It appears to have an 1896 style rear sight. It is now a carbine, but based on what I have read in the forums here and elsewhere on the web, it probably was originally a rifle. The front sight is mounted on a band brazed to the barrel.

I have been told that this particular piece was purchased through the NRA some years before, possibly in the 20's or 30's and used in Pennsylvania/West Virginia farm country as a deer rifle for many years thereafter. The person who gave me this rifle was a dear friend and grandson of the original purchaser, so it has sentimental value, if not collectors' value. However, I would like to know if there is anything in the records to indicate more of its history.

Thanks in advance. :)

Martin Wagner

Re: Serial Number Check

Post by Martin Wagner »

Hello Almost: Your weapons started off life as a Model '92 rifle and does not show up in the listing of known weapons assigned.

About being purchased through the NRA please see the posting further down the list called "NRA/DCM CAVEAT".

Your weapon has value as a shooter and as a family piece only. Unfortunately collector value is all but gone. Hope this helps some.

AlmostAntique

Re: Serial Number Check

Post by AlmostAntique »

Martin,

Thanks.