6.5x55 Krag action rifle 1926

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Bill Rogers

6.5x55 Krag action rifle 1926

Post by Bill Rogers »

Hey,
I have two carbines (98) and recently got hold of this 6.5x55 swedish rifle. I've always been fascinated with the Krag and would like some input on value, history, and such. Also I don't have the book but can one find the history of any Krag rifle or carbine with the serial #? The 6.5 has been sporterized a little with a cheek piece and a scope.

Nord

Re: 6.5x55 Krag action rifle 1926

Post by Nord »

Howdy Sniper.

I could tell you some more about the rifle in question if you provided the serial number.
At the moment I can just tell you that a 6,5x55 rifle with Krag action is not Swedish, but Norwegian.

Nord

Bill Rogers

Post by Bill Rogers »

Nord,
I was just refering to the ammunition that the rifle uses. Most of the boxes I have call it 6.5x55 swedish. I have seen on this site some are reluctant to give serial #'s so I'm slightly hesitant. I figure if someone wants it bad enough they'll get it anyway. The # is 30072 and the barrel is stamped 1926 just in front of the receiver. What about other Krags and how much can I find out about the history and issue with #'s from other rifles.
Thanks, Sniper

Nord

Post by Nord »

OK Sniper.

Here's what I can provide of info for you.

Your Krag is a M/1912 Carbine, actually one of the last ones, since the serial numbers end at 30118.
So it's one of the 418 M/1912 Carbines made in 1926.
I suppose the M/1912 should be well known to most of the guys here, and in my opinion it was the most sucsessfull of the standard issue Krags to be made.

In 1940 your M/1912 Carbine was issued to, or stored at the 6th Infantry Regiment.

When it comes to ammo, the 6,5x55 KJ actually differs slightly from the 6,5x55 SM, but the difference is minimal (simply the use of minimum toleranses in Sweden, and maximum tolerances in Norway) and seldom make any difference for the accuracy or safety.

That's just about all I can give you.
Of course there's a lot of technical data and history, but you can see most of it by looking at the rifle itself.

Just enjoy.
Nord

Bill Rogers

Post by Bill Rogers »

Hey Nord,
Thanks for the info. This is the kind of stuff I'm looking for. As I said before I also have two carbines but we'll talk about those later, it's late. As far as the ammunition goes I assume the rifle will take either the KJ or the SM. If so is it readily available and where can I find at least some? I've got a small collection of cartridges. In closing just let me say that I've owned a Krag for the last 25 years and they are truly my favorite firearm. If it's not the smoothest bolt action rifle ever I'll eat the brass. My Grandfather had them, I've got them and I'm just pleased as anything that I found this site. Just as a tidbit, I read that the world record Rocky Mountain Elk was taken in 1899 with a 30-40 Krag and I believe the record stands.

Nord

Post by Nord »

Well Sniper.

The Krag will eat whatever 6,5x55 ammo you feed it with, while some of the Swedish Mausers had a little bit too tight chambers, and therefore had problems with the Norwegian ammo.

US made 6,5x55 will work just fine, and due to the fear of law suits from clumsy amateurs who shouldnt been allowed to handle any firearm in the first place, US made ammo is kept at a reasonable preassure level and are perfectly safe in a Krag.
Note that some US made ammo can bulge just above the casehead, this indicates minimum tolerances in the case production, or that they have used 30-06 type brass as basis for the production.
A true 6,5x55 should be completely impossible to chamber in a 30-06!

Stay away from the hottest Norma loads, they tend to be hard on old rifles in long terms..

The best thing would actually be to load your own ammo, but that's a choice I'll leave for you to decide.

Nord