Model 1895 Norwegian Krag Cavalry Carbine

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
thorsrig

Model 1895 Norwegian Krag Cavalry Carbine

Post by thorsrig »

Hello! (My first post to this group!) I'd like to research this carbine. Besides Brophy, are there sources in Norway that one could contact?
Thank's,
Greg T.

Don_B._in_KS.

Re: Model 1895 Norwegian Krag Cavalry Carbine

Post by Don_B._in_KS. »

The fellow from Norway who posted using the name Nord on the old Gun & Kniff forum has access to the 1940 list opf where everything was as that time. I have not seen him post on any of the Krag sites since that one folded up and only recall that his address started out baddog. Does anyone else have more on locating him?

Tom Butts
Site Admin

Post by Tom Butts »

Don,

I have e-mailed Nord about our site and this forum. I hope that he will check it out and help us answer the tougher Norwegian Krag questions.

Tom

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

Hi Greg,
I have recently taken an intrest in Norwegian Krags but like you I've found little information so I also look forward to what ever comes up here. I would also like to say that if you ever decide to sell this gun email me and give me a chance at it!
Ned

Greg T.

Post by Greg T. »

Hello! The one I have is mentioned in Brophy's book. It is serial number 180 of 400 of the Civilian Series of the Model 1895 Cavalry Carbine. Made in 1900. I don't think I would sell it... Anyway, I have another problem. I just signed up for this list the other day and registered and everything, but now I can't find where to start a new thread! I know I found it once as I sent an initial message, but I must be missing something here! Any help figuring this out will be appreciated!
Greg T.

Tom Butts
Site Admin

Post by Tom Butts »

Greg,

Right when you enter the "Krag Forum", before you click on a specific topic, in the upper right corner there is a little yellow folder that says " Start New Topic". Click that and you are on your way!

Tom

Nord

Post by Nord »

Hello there folks.

We may not act too fast over here, but we usually show up at last. ;)

The 1895 cavalery carbine is a typical hard to find nowadays.

If you have the year of make (1900 I seem to recall) and serial number, I'll check it out.

Nord

Greg T.

Post by Greg T. »

Hello there! I'm certainly glad that you replied as I really can find nothing much on this little carbine except in Brophy's book of the Krag. I even tried to find Sig Halverson, who did the chapter in Brophy's book on the Norwegian Krag, with no luck. I have an unaltered Model 1895 Krag Calvary Carbine, serial number 180, manufactured in 1900. According to Brophy, this is one that was made for Civilian issue, one of 418 made through 1908, if I recall correctly. I would certainly appreciate any information that you might have on this, including information on what branch of the Norwegian Armed Forces actually used the carbine. Also wondering why the Norwegian government arsenal would go to the trouble of making some for civilian issue? Incidently, this carbine has simply beautiful walnut with streaking and graining that is almost beyond belief! Thank's very much for any help you can provide!
Greg Topp
Hayward, Wisconsin USA

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

Hello Greg,
How did you get your hands on this gem?!?!?!
Ned

thorsrig

Post by thorsrig »

Hello Ned! Get in touch with me at home (thorsrig@cheqnet.net) and I will tell you how I came to get it. Someone else just asked too.
Greg T.