DCM/NRA KRAGS ---  CAVEAT!

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Martin Wagner

DCM/NRA KRAGS ---  CAVEAT!

Post by Martin Wagner »

I responded to a previous posting with this message but I feel it important enough to start a NEW TOPIC.

Much has been said, and many questions have been asked, concerning authentic DCM Krag weapons. The uneducated will ask questions in order to learn, but the shyster, who knows all the answers, will try and sell you one with all types of stories. None of them is correct or true.

The ONLY way to authenticate one of these weapons is with a BILL OF SALE or PACKING SLIP, period.....NO exceptions.

For almost the past 2 years I have been trying to obtain these records from the government facility that now has them. I finally threw in the towel and I'll tell you why.

These records, which are now housed at TACOM, were sent there over the years in horrible condition, packed in no order at all. There are over 3 million records of sales of weapons to the public in no semblance of order.

To make matters worse they have hired a bunch of civilians to enter all of these records into a database...people who have absolutely no idea of what they are doing except hitting keystrokes.

After waiting these 2 years I finally got a listing of what they had done concerning Krags. This list was returned as insufficient documentation for my request...it lacked serial numbers. Another list was sent. This was also returned because all of the weapons were listed as Model 1898 Krags. :-[ I finally called them to voice my frustration about the matter. I was told that is all they had and all they could send. So I gave up!

So, what I am trying to pass on to all you Krag folks is that you best beware of any DCM Krag weapon offered for sale. Good luck.

Tom Butts
Site Admin

Re: DCM/NRA KRAGS --- CAVEAT!

Post by Tom Butts »

Marty,

Great post!!!!!! Thank you for sharing this knowledge. You are right, there are too many shysters out there that advertise "authentic DCM carbines" for outlandish prices.

I appreciate you sharing your knowledge ( and all of the time you put in on the research ).

Tom