Value of a pristine 1899 Carbine?

U.S. Military Krags
Hal_M_Hare

Value of a pristine 1899 Carbine?

Post by Hal_M_Hare »

This may be my 1st posting-so I hope I am not violating any rules.

20 years ago I bought a super clean 1899 Carbine from the family of an Ohio collector. I had plans to shoot it-but that project never got off the ground.

I would like to sell it-but would like to get a fair price. This is where I need some input.

I suspect it was might have been from the Ohio National Guard.
The stock has 'C97' in 1/2 inch characters very neatly done. The stock appears military-but there is no inspector stamping, perhaps lightly sanded? Overall metal is like new.

What might the a value? And would this be a good place to offer it for sale?

Thanks for your patience.

butlersrangers

Re: Value of a pristine 1899 Carbine?

Post by butlersrangers »

'Hal' - Clear detailed photos of your Krag's markings and sights would help get a fair assessment of your Krag and its value.

You really want to contact the KCA Administrator if you want to try and sell it here. It would be listed in the KCA 'Classifieds".

FWIW - An excellent model 1899 carbine will only be worth around $1,400. Most are worth far less.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

It may well be a VERY nice looking carbine, but I'm very sorry - "perhaps lightly sanded" does NOT describe anything NEAR "pristine". On a pristine piece you can almost cut your finger on the cartouche!

Whig

Post by Whig »

To quote (closely) the wise sage Dick Hosmer from past postings, it can be worth anywhere from $200-$20,000!

It just depends...

Kerz

Post by Kerz »

Detailed photos would be essential for a better estimate of value.
Vic
Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

Hal_M_Hare

Post by Hal_M_Hare »

Thanks to all for your responses. I appreciate your comments and understand that pristine is a poor description. I know that pictures would help with identification. I will take some and attempt to post. It is entirely possible that the previous owner may have refinished the wood and/or metal since it is so nice. I have no history from the owner to rely on, only best guesses based on inspection.

Is it difficult to post photos?
Is Poyer's book good for identification?

Thanks again for taking your time to respond.

Whig

Post by Whig »

Hal,

It is really easy to post pictures but a couple things have to be done.The pictures need to be under around 700 kb in size and not too big inches-wise. Pictures that are too many kb will not load and give a red error message. Too large pictures inches-wise will take a large space and require viewers to shift the image around to see it.

Go to the post page, where you have been clicking on to post your descriptions, and on the left side click repeatedly on the "Attachments" down arrow. That will give you up to 5 "Choose File" boxes to find your pictures on your computer and post them.

If you have problems, let us know.

The KCA website has a wealth of pictures and historic posts that you can read through and learn all about your Krag. Poyer's book is a great start for learning a lot about Krags and it's cheap. Other references for Krags are more expensive. Start with Poyer's.

Good luck. We look forward to seeing your Krag and critiquing it- good and bad!!Image

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Thanks for posting! Great picture of a VERY nice rig, which ANYONE would be proud to own! The scattered leaves were a particularly nice touch. On a pristine specimen, though, the cartouche would not only be visible, but easily readable at that scale. So, it has been cleaned, but still VERY nice indeed - you should have no trouble selling it - I'd think for somewhere around $3,000 for all.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Dick - That is Whig's display. I don't think he is selling!

(It is a very nice photo and compost .... oops ... composition)!

The OP has not posted any pictures yet, 'Whig' was just guiding the way.

Whig

Post by Whig »

Thanks, Dick. I do like the $3,000 estimate, though!

As Chuck said, just sharing pictures.

Maybe op's Krag looks great too,.