U.S. Military Krags
butlersrangers

Re: Value of a pristine 1899 Carbine?

Post by butlersrangers »

Maybe we'll see some feet in his photos! 8-)Image

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Maybe we'll see some feet in his photos! 8-)

Chuck, I think the virus is bringing out things in you we'd rather not know about!
Sorry to all about the stupid mistake on the picture - but it doesn't change my opinion of the value.

Hal_M_Hare

Post by Hal_M_Hare »

I am anxious for your thoughts on the carbine. I know my photo quality can use some improvement. I am getting an error message regarding the size. Even when I go with only 1 attachment, it errs as too large. Not sure how to reset my camera.

Many thanks-

Hal_M_Hare

Post by Hal_M_Hare »

I am anxious for your thoughts on the carbine. I know my photo quality can use some improvement. I am getting an error message regarding the size. Even when I go with only 1 attachment, it errs as too large. Not sure how to reset my camera.

Many thanks-

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

You do not need to "reset" your camera - just use the editing program that is on your computer. For a Mac, that is "Preview".

Hal_M_Hare

Post by Hal_M_Hare »

trying a photoImage

Hal_M_Hare

Post by Hal_M_Hare »

another photo.

still working on this! Not getting the details I desired, It is a painful process.Image

FredC

Post by FredC »

Well it is beautifully done modified carbine. I see a 96 stock and blued receiver and hardware. Unfortunately not original. Others will give you more details. Dick's info on using Apple products will not apply if you are using a windows machine.
I right click on the photo to be edited and choose open with paintbrush. Paint brush will have an Icon near the upper left that says resize photo or something like that. If you are starting with a very big photo try 50 or 60 percent in place of 100%. If you need to get a small amount decrease 96% percent could work. Once you enter a number it should show up in both directions.
When finished save it as a revised name with a JPG extension (keeps prom destroying the original). After you have saved it check properties of the saved photo. If you hit it well all is good. If not delete it and try again on the original.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

It appears we are going to be seeing a Pretty Krag, but not, a Pristine Krag.

The action is either a model 1899 or 1898, the rear-sight is a 1902 rifle sight.

The stock is a model 1896 stock in Italian walnut. We need to see more forearm to tell if it is a rifle stock or replacement 'long - forearm' carbine stock.

A sling has been added. The butt-swivel does not appear to be recessed into the wood and is rather far forward.

The metal appears attractive and commercially refinished.

My hunch is that this is going to prove to be a rather nice 'Hunting/Sportered' Krag.ImageImage

Whig

Post by Whig »

Wow! That stock and metal sure have been redone well! The stock looks gorgeous. Along the lines of a Turnbull restoration, quality-wise from these couple pictures. It appears to have been sanded a good bit from the soft, tapered edges of the grasping grooves but has been well contoured and refinished professionally.The bluing of the metal the same way.

Unless there are major issues, this Krag will carry a premium price over regular, average sporterized (heavily refinished or altered) Krags. It will not have the value of a military configuration Krag that has not been refinished. Hopefully the bore is nice and it will be a great shooter.

It certainly will look nice hanging on a wall or taking to the range, though. Quite an eye-turner!

More pictures needed to enjoy more but thanks for sharing!