Schrodinger's headspace - a problem that isn't?

U.S. Military Krags
FredC

Re: Schrodinger's headspace - a problem that isn't?

Post by FredC »

Good news! We found in measuring the bolts that they have a taper to them. From the point they first engage to fully closed they advance about .005 inches. I assume the lug recess has a matching taper (probably .010 total), so 1/2 way down I would guess you have .005" to go before the field gauge closes. When that happens the rifle is still safe to shoot till it gets real loose on the field gauge.

You gave us a thread to discuss many other things while you were waiting for the field gauge.
Thanks.

IgnoramusRex

Post by IgnoramusRex »

Took it out for a test shoot. I'm already in love with this rifle. Slick action, shoots nice. 5" high at 100 yards with factory 180gr SP Hornady.

Inspected the fired cases. Maybe some imperceptible-to-the-naked-eye bulging forward of the case head, but I honestly cannot tell-looks like the fired cases in any number of rifles. I did the paper clip feeler test as a sanity check and couldn't detect anything. Will cut one open in a couple days when I have access to a saw.Image

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Great! They look like normal 'fired' .30-40 Krag cases.

Honestly, it's your choice, but, there's no real need to waste a case by cutting it in half, unless you really suspect a problem.

You should be good to go with Neck-Sizing, occasional case-mouth trim and annealing.

Have fun

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Krag cases sometimes appear to bulge in that area... but it's perfectly normal. Most of my cases have that. Neck size only and anneal occasionally, and you'll be fine.