Carbine.....Rear Sight

U.S. Military Krags
Cat Man

Carbine.....Rear Sight

Post by Cat Man »

Back from the big SOS Militaria and Gun show in Louisville. Usually don't find much for Krag parts but every one in a while. Picked this 1901 Carbine rear sight out of a mixed box containing half a dozen other 1903 and 1901 rifle sights.

With so many new members posting "Carbine" inquiries, I thought it would be a good post. The arrows indicate the correct carbine markings. Ya' never know when you may need another Carbine sight. And it was a bargain.

ImageImage

Whig

Re: Carbine.....Rear Sight

Post by Whig »

Great condition, too. You probably stole it.

Great find keeping your eyes open and knowing what to look for.

Now find an M1896 carbine sight and I'll give you $100 for it!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Nice find!

Although one of the most numerous of Krag carbine sights, the 1901 version is in demand and is bringing good money.

IMHO - It is probably more sought after than the far rarer model 1898 and 1902 carbine sights.

Another aspect of the model 1901 carbine sight, (and also the ultra rare BoO&F sight), is that both legs of the sight leaf are of obvious equal width.
The "channel" the 'eye-piece' travels in is straight, with all edges parallel to outside edges of the sight leaf.

On the rifle version, the 'channel' angles to the left as the slide is raised, to compensate for bullet-drift. This makes the legs of the leaf appear to differ in width.

(Lately, a lot of 1901 rifle sights get listed on eBay as "carbine" sights. Looking at the leaf for this built-in feature allows identification, even in poor photos).ImageImage

Cat Man

Post by Cat Man »

It was so dirty and rusty I almost missed the markings. But cleaned up pretty well. A bit of pitting on the elevation slide and the graduations that was too deep remove.

Baltimoreed

Post by Baltimoreed »

This is whats on my 1899 [built August 1900] constabulary/school rifle. Has a c on all 3 parts and a 4 stamped on the base. Krag bullets obviously dont drift? ImageImage

Whig

Post by Whig »

They still drift but, evidently, not as much of an impact out of the 22 inch barrel compared to the 30 inch rifle barrel.

These Krags are capable of some pretty darn impressive shooting for 120 years old!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I imagine in theory, the "bullet drift" (to the right) caused by the 'clockwise' rotation of the .30 caliber/220 grain projectile should have been relatively similar for the 30 inch rifle and 22 inch Krag carbine barrels.
It would have been a bit greater for the Krag rifle due to the higher velocity achieved with the longer barrel.

The appendix section of some of the "Chief of Ordnance Annual Reports", from the early 1900's, contain experiments conducted to try and correctly calibrate the rifle sight for trajectory and bullet drift.

In these experiments it was found the bullet left the Krag rifle barrel angled or pitched to the left, probably as a result of barrel/action harmonics.
This departure was significant and probably reached maximum deviation (from the line of the bore to the target) at around 800 yards.
By around 1,100 yards, 'bullet rotational drift', which was continuous, had brought the bullet back to the 'line of the bore to the target'.
Beyond this distance, the bullet continued to drift to the right of this line. (Talk about a Curve Ball)!

IIRC - Krags with 22 inch and 26 inch barrels did not show the extremes exhibited by the 30 inch rifles.

IMHO - The model 1901 sight would probably have been improved without the built-in bullet drift compensation.

Bullet drift to the right was probably relatively uniform Krag to Krag. It was a property of the 'clockwise' bullet rotation, velocity, mass and air density.

The angle of bullet departure to the left, upon exiting the 30 inch rifle barrel, was likely a product of barrel harmonics and would vary rifle to rifle.
The 1901 rifle rear-sight 'eye-piece' moving to the left (for bullet drift) probably just added to the problem of bullets traveling to the left of the target.

Local Boy

Post by Local Boy »

Way to go Cat Man!!!

It's nice to still come across a good deal especially with all the Krag craziness now days.

Here's my GREAT DEAL that I stumbled onto at a local gun shop a number of years ago for $80 bucks!

2 carbine 1901's (one missing the slide) and a hybrid 1896 (notice the carbine slide).

Nevinator

Post by Nevinator »

Great post! Very informative for a newbie like me. Thanks.