Going to look again at Stevens-Pope

U.S. Military Krags
Fiddy

Going to look again at Stevens-Pope

Post by Fiddy »

There's a shop with one on consignment locally that I visited yesterday. I went home and was reading about them last night (mainly on this forum) and although I'm not super interested in the rifle, I remember reading that not much information exists on these re-barreled ones. So, I was going to take some photos and post what I found online here so the information was available to anyone who takes interest in such things.

My question is, what should I look for, exactly, that would help? I'll take plenty of photos, of course.

Also, if I do decide to buy it, what are they going for these days? I didn't look closely at the condition yesterday, but it wasn't stellar. What is the general price range?

Thanks

Mark21

Re: Going to look again at Stevens-Pope

Post by Mark21 »

The barrel will be marked Stevens Pope. There is a serial number range but I do not have access to it now. The ones for the military were marked 22 Cal on the left side. The commercial ones were not.
Check the bore. I am having mine relined because it was trash.
The stock should be full length.

Price is based on condition and without pictures it is difficult to say. I have seen ones go for $2800 to $3400 in very good condition at auction.

Whig

Post by Whig »

Poyer's 2nd edition states that most of the Stevens-Pope Krag receivers that were altered for the .22 caliber cartridge were in the serial number range of 475,000 or above.

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

This is how Pennsylvania did it back in 1904.

Fiddy

Post by Fiddy »

First time posting images here, wish me luck. If this doesn't work I'll have to try and put them online and go that route.

img
img
img
img

Fiddy

Post by Fiddy »

img
img
img
img

Fiddy

Post by Fiddy »

img
img
img
img

Fiddy

Post by Fiddy »

img
img
img
img

Fiddy

Post by Fiddy »

img
img
img
img

Fiddy

Post by Fiddy »

The bore... there's rifling but it was so dirty/dusty that I couldn't get a good look. It didn't help that I didn't have a good flashlight on me, and the shop owner wasn't in so I couldn't ask for him to run a snake or swab down it. Based on what I saw, I'd say its in decent shape. Not horrible, not great.

Any information on the rifle is greatly appreciated, and please offer your 2 cents on condition! I don't know anything about how to judge condition on old rifles.

Thanks in advance.