M1899 Carbine for sale- good deal

U.S. Military Krags
Whig

M1899 Carbine for sale- good deal

Post by Whig »

I am not selling nor connected in any way to this listing.

There is a nice looking M1899 Krag carbine, arsenal rebuild, for sale at a great price, with no current bids, on Gun Broker. Ends tomorrow. It is wearing an appropriate M1901 carbine rear sight and is not sporterized. Not perfect but a nice stock and hand guard also. Check it out.

Might be a good deal at current price for anyone looking to add an M1899 carbine to their collection.

I don't need it. I've been watching this and thought someone at KCA might want to bid on it.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/837106452

98src

Re: M1899 Carbine for sale- good deal

Post by 98src »

Is the front sight correct?

Whig

Post by Whig »

I can't tell why it is higher than usual. I thought it was just an incorrect blade. The base looks dovetailed but I can't tell for sure. I would e-mail and ask the seller and ask for some better pictures of the front sight. I wouldn't want to mislead anyone. Check it out further. Do your due diligence. If unsure, I'd pass.

This Krag started life as a carbine but certainly could have had alterations including a new barrel that is not correct. We have seen that many times.

I've enhanced a couple pictures a little.

ImageImage

Mike4MSU

Post by Mike4MSU »

Did you look at picture 27? I dont like that extra cut near the guard. Seems it may be a repro stock as well - no markings and doesnt seem quite right to me.

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

Looking at pictures 10,16 &24 and zooming in the base does not look right. Trigger guard cut is strange also as Mike stated.

Whig

Post by Whig »

Does the hand guard look too small for the stock underneath it? The front cut of the hand guard looks wrong too.

I agree. Looks suspiciously wrong in a number of ways. That's a weird front trigger guard cut. A lot of work in that stock if it is a repro.

I guess that's why there are no bids including mine!

Nice detective work. It would be nice to take it a part in person but I'm not doing that.

Heck, if the carbine is wrong, I wonder if that rear sight is fake? If not, those M1901 carbine sights are still valuable.

Also, the bottom of the butt plate doesn't fit the stock correctly. Picture 40.

leadhead

Post by leadhead »

That front sight base looks really, really high to me.
Denny