A set of stamps is a dangerous thing

U.S. Military Krags
King carp

A set of stamps is a dangerous thing

Post by King carp »

I picked this sight up recently. It is obvious that someone tried to create a carbine sight out of a rifle sight. I would like to get it back to it's original configuration. Maybe by welding over it and sanding it smooth. Any other ideas, or just leave it as is? ImageImageImage

psteinmayer

Re: A set of stamps is a dangerous thing

Post by psteinmayer »

WOW that's about as poorly faked as I've seen! They even inverted the C on the eye piece, LOL Horrible!

Whig

Post by Whig »

Tough call. I might be inclined to just leave it as it is but to never misrepresent it as original if you ever sell it. We have seen fakes before. It is your property now and you can do what you want. If you can correct it without disfiguring it too much, I would like to see the end result.

I've bought sights that I wasn't sure of before but they always turned out to be original. I've never bought a fake before (as far as I know!)

Thanks for sharing. We all need to see these things to know to keep our guard up for fakery.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

That is still a useful sight and can serve on a 'parts-gun shooter'.

It is an obvious fake.

IMHO - Such sights are good teaching/learning aids - "A Known Counterfeit".

FredC

Post by FredC »

I do not think I would try welding it. Using it on a parts rifle or selling it as poorly modified rifle sight, would be OK. Getting after the "C" with a Cratex (rubber bonded abrasive) wheel in a Dremel tool could get rid on most of the "C"s. Spot bluing could make it look presentable afterwards, but it would still be altered. You can dress the Cratex abrasives on concrete, a brick, or a running grinding wheel to get them to the right shaped when polishing a spot out.

King carp

Post by King carp »

Thank you all for your ideas.