1898 Feed Issue

U.S. Military Krags
GunGrunt

1898 Feed Issue

Post by GunGrunt »

I just acquired an M1898 in great condition. I would like to use it in CMP Vintage Rifle competition, but I am having an occasional feed problem. The cartridge rim appears to jam as it comes around under the bolt. The bolt will not move forward, as though it has been somehow locked to the rear. If I open the loading gate I can push the offending cartridge down, then close the gate and everything is usually OK. Any ideas?

Whig

Re: 1898 Feed Issue

Post by Whig »

First, congratulations on your new Krag! We are one big happy family here of Krag lovers and will do all we can to help you get the most enjoyment out of your fascinating piece of history. We'd love to know more about your rifle and see pictures if you can post some. That can actually help us see directly what might be going on and can give us the ability to see what you have and discuss the history of it.

The first and most frequent problem is years of built up dirt and grime. If you haven't done so, remove the bolt and clean all surfaces well and check the magazine to make sure there isn't old cosmoline caked inside. This is a common feed problem. If you don't know how to remove the bolt, let us know. Check to make sure the action works and the follower is freely moving as you close the magazine door. You might need to carefully remove the left receiver side plate to clean in there and check the action.

But, there may be a part damaged or missing. The ammunition itself may be a problem if it is a spire (spitzer) or pointed bullet. Round nose ammo feeds best, as it was designed to do 130 years ago.

See if these suggestions help and let us know. We'll anxiously await pictures. Also, tell us more about where you got it from and any history you know about it. Is it "sporterized" or original military condition? What is the serial number and barrel length?

Good luck!
Last edited by Whig on Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

Doe it have a magazine cutoff? Is it the proper length? Might take a short one, might take a long one. If a short one is used where a long one is needed, it leaves a little place the rim can catch. Also take a look at the pin of the follower, rims can catch on them.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Not all Krags feed Spitzer bullets reliably. If you're shooting Remington or Hornady factory, they may be hanging up at the feed ramp. Also, as others have said, check for built up crud or a missing/incorrect magazine cutoff.

Capt. Frank

Post by Capt. Frank »

My 1898 will not feed the fifth round from the magazine. I have been told, it is the fault of a weak magazine spring. Perhaps this may be an issue.

GunGrunt

Post by GunGrunt »

M1898 S/N 445281 (i think one of the last ones made)
Unmodified. Has flip up pin hole rear sight.
Round nosed bullets. I am testing both 180gr and 230gr, but both have the same COL

As mentioned above I too have a problem with 5th round feed. I and going to completely disassemble the feed ramp and polish all of the surfaces. I have a new spring as well.

The bigger issue is the occasional jam. The bullet is not jammed against the feed ramp, but the bolt will not move forward and it is not touching the rear of the cartridge. If I open the door and shake down the round I can clear the jam.

Sorry, but I can't figure out how to post photos. I don't have access to a web site to which I can upload and reference photos.

GunGrunt

Post by GunGrunt »

Oops! I guess I can upload photos.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Check to make sure there is not a problem with your ejector 'hanging-up' and binding your bolt.

A cartridge should not be in the position, shown in your photo, unless the bolt has pushed it forward.
If it moved to that point by inertia, there is likely a follower-spring or side-plate issue.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

The locking lug should contact the receiver when the bolt is all the way back. I have a Norwegian that is giving me a similar problem. I think the hard to remove ejector pin is broken, and maybe the ejector itself. The pin is staked in on some Norwegians, no such problem with a US Krag.

GunGrunt

Post by GunGrunt »

Lesson learned - a magazine follower that looks new is NOT the same as new. I just replaced my follower spring with a brand new original spring and all of my feed problems seem to have cleared up!

Thanks to everyone that commented.