Springfield Research Service 4 Volumes

U.S. Military Krags
Whig

Springfield Research Service 4 Volumes

Post by Whig »

Since there have always been and will continue to be requests for SRS "hits" by guests and members, I thought that I'd put together a little summary of the 4 volumes of the Springfield Research Service collection of serial number research information. I had spent a long time searching for reasonably priced copies of these 4 volumes and have had them for quite a while to enjoy and use extensively in collecting and learning about Krags and other military firearms. Many have requested searches for their serial numbers but a lot of people don't know what these research documents really are or what they contain.

I will summarize some interesting information about them which will require a few separate posts since these are limited in total words and pictures.

I also want to be extremely clear that I am summarizing researched and documented information from other authors. I am not the origin of this info and I give ALL credit to Frank Mallory who initiated these records and was instrumental in helping all of us understand and enjoy our wonderful Krags to the degree we do today. The introduction to these volumes is credited to Ron Hickox.

I also want to make the important note that our own Richard "Dick" Hosmer is acknowledged as a contributor to all 4 volumes, as well as other collectors and researchers.

Thank you Dick for all of the work you have done for the last 50 years in teaching us more about Krags and other Springfield Armory creations.

Summarizing Ron Hickox in the introduction used for all 4 volumes, the Springfield Research Service started in 1975 when Frank Mallory was researching military weapons and came across a large collection of serial numbers and data of U. S. Military arms. He published the data in a small booklet called Summary of DCM Rifle Sales, 1922-1942.

Frank started to furnish readers with authentication letters based on his research findings for $5 a copy.

(contd)Image

Whig

Re: Springfield Research Service 4 Volumes

Post by Whig »

Frank started, because he had so much interest in research information on Springfield Armory military arms, a quarterly newsletter called the Springfield Research Newsletter. These newsletters contained many listings, pictures and data on Krag rifles and carbines. Readers would send in questions that Frank would answer as well as information they had obtained on personally owned firearms that would be included in the newsletters.

Frank Mallory published The Krag Rifle Story book in 1980 after compiling so much research information and historic data on Krags.

The Springfield Research Service Serial Numbers of Martial Arms was published in 4 volumes. The 4th and final volume stated that there would be no further volumes of the SRS forthcoming since the newsletters included so much further collected data.

The information in the SRS manuals was compiled from U. S. military sources including direct Springfield Armory records, Office of Chief of Ordnance, National Archives and other sources.

The SRS manuals contain records on Civil War rifles, Colt firearms, Remington firearms, Sharps, S&W firearms, Trapdoors, Krags, Model 1903s, Model 1922s, M1 rifles, M1 carbines and Model 1917 rifles.

Volume 1 (Actually called 1st Edition) was printed in 1983 and contains individual records on 46,500 of many of the above military firearms. The Krag section (of course most interesting to us!) has 7,878 individual entries on rifles and carbines. This encompasses M1892 - M1899. Many of the entries are for firearms used in the Spanish American War by the 1st USV Cavalry known as the Rough Riders.

Volume 2 was printed in 1986 and has new data on 33,800 individual firearms. There are 2,572 new Krag entries again that supplements the previous edition.

Volume 3 was printed in 1990 and contains 33,800 new individual entries (same number as Volume 2-not a typo). There are 903 new Krag entries in this volume including M1892 Krag rifles used by the 25th Infantry Bicycle Corps.

(contd)Image

Whig

Post by Whig »

Volume 4 was printed in 1995 with, again, all new information on 72,000 individual firearms in 41 categories. There are new entries for 1,232 Krags including a group of Krag rifles and carbines that were slated for destruction at the New Cumberland Ordnance Depot.

The 4 volumes contain information on 12,000 Krags total.

There is a note that says that information is not guaranteed due to so many chances for errors in recording and copying this kind of data. Just as many people may make a mistake in reading a "3" for an "8", historical records may be ripe with errors as well as typing and publication errors. Historic letters provided by SRS for a fee are checked and double checked against original records to try to get the most correct information to the collector possible.

Each volume of the SRS manuals includes the chart of serial numbers and dates of production copied below. We know that there are often disagreements about dates of productions of Krags since they were not always produced and accepted into use in chronological order.

I use these manuals constantly when I'm looking at Krags at auction sights, on Gun Broker and other sights where Krags are sold as well as when trying to answer questions on KCA. They are paperback and show wear after a while, so, I am being careful with handling them.

I have tried to accurately summarize the Springfield Research Records manuals correctly. I, again, give credit to others for compiling this information for us to use. I hope that Dick Hosmer will add to this summary, as well as others, to help us all get the most from these great research records. Thanks.

Local Boy

Post by Local Boy »

Thanks Whig for sharing!

McPheeters Antique Militaria currently has all 4 volumes for sale.

$650 Ouch!

http://www.mcpheetersantiquemilitaria.com/02_firearms/02_item_014.htm

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Ken is is a very friendly and personable guy, but is usually priced at or near the peak of whatever category is under discussion. Sadly, his site has pretty much become a drool-only zone for me.

I've made a couple of low 4-digit offers over the years, asking for a couple hundred off on a particular combo - no dice. I've offered him antique (1870's) sealed boxes of .45-70 ammo in trade at half what he was asking for the very same item - no dice.

He seems to have reached that enviable point in his sales trajectory where he can afford to sit on items and just say "take it or leave it".

In this case, he's probably not too far out of line - the SRS books have sold for indecent sums in the past. My Volume 1 is in tatters, ready for rebinding, and I'm careful with my stuff.

Whig

Post by Whig »

Supply and demand!

You're welcome. They've helped me out a lot.

King carp

Post by King carp »

Do you think there are any recorded serial numbered krags still out there? If so where would be the best place to search for them? I am retired now and could spend some time on the hunt for them. I own a krag with a known serial no. It really makes it special to know where and with who it has been.
Thanks, kc

Whig

Post by Whig »

There are definitely unknowns out there waiting to be discovered! Don't ever think otherwise or the search is over for most of us!

Can't imagine how many will continue to trickle in discovered in an attic or closet for generations. People die who have accumulated firearms over years and eventually a widow decides to give them away or send them to an auction house to be bought by one of us as the next temporary owner.

So, keep up the search.

King carp

Post by King carp »

I guess I miss phrased my question. I was asking where I would look for paperwork on which unit a krag was issued to. The one i have was issued to the 5th. Engineers in Cuba. Are there archives that have not been searched? Or has this area of collecting been searched out? Thanks for your understanding.
Kc

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'knute1' recently found Government documentation of 60 Krag serial numbers that were not recorded in SRS data.

These sixty model 1898 Krag rifles were on Alaska's Pribilof Islands. They were listed in an inventory included in Department of Commerce and Labor correspondence, published for a 1911 Congressional Committee.

The rifles were under the control of Department of Commerce Agents on St. Paul and St. George Islands. The rifles were employed by Natives guarding the fur seal breeding grounds and nurseries from raids and poaching by (mainly) Japanese 'Sealing Pirates'.

At least some of this equipment was still in place on November 11, 1918, when some of these guards were photographed Firing an 'Armistice Salute'.

It is likely other Krags may be documented in obscure places and surviving paperwork.

IMHO - Knute's find is a gem with context, description of use, and at least 11 to 14 years of possession. This is a lot more interesting than most SRS entries.ImageImage