very bad news

U.S. Military Krags
Mark_Daiute

very bad news

Post by Mark_Daiute »

Jack Scwartz/Parts for antique guns is no longer making Krag wood, this is very bad for me, going to really put a crimp on a favorite hobby

Suredan

Re: very bad news

Post by Suredan »

I had emailed him and he said it was a permanent situation. Not good news at all. I wonder if he made them or if they were outsourced. Would be nice if someone could acquire the plans/equipment and put them back into production.

Jason60chev

Post by Jason60chev »

Just sent an email to them, asking that very question.

Jason60chev

Post by Jason60chev »

I received a reply from him. Said that the HGs were made on proprietary in house machinery from originals, as were the barrel springs. Health issues preventing further work.

AFter hearing that, kinda felt selfish for asking about it.

Now we just need a woodworker who wants to invest in original HGs, machinery and copy them.

Just sent an email to them, asking that very question.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

I read someplace else that East Taylor LLC was also (unless that is Mr. Schwartz?) stopping production. Guess the value of originals is going to go up. :'(

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Dick - Both names are the same concern.

I wonder if S&S Firearms also got their hand-guards from this vendor? (They are currently 'out of stock').

The price of originals has been climbing for some time.

Schwartz/East Taylor-LLC had decent stuff to work with.

boomer

Post by boomer »

Wow, I just got one a couple of months ago, apparently just in the nick of time. That is sad news.

.... I wonder if S&S Firearms also got their hand-guards from this vendor? (They are currently 'out of stock')....

I suspect so. It took me 5 to 6 weeks to get the one I ordered and S&S was showing out of stock the entire time. I believe one or two of their hand guards became available right at the same time I received my order.

Kerz

Post by Kerz »

Dick - Both names are the same concern.

I wonder if S&S Firearms also got their hand-guards from this vendor? (They are currently 'out of stock').

The price of originals has been climbing for some time.

Schwartz/East Taylor-LLC had decent stuff to work with.

Butlersrangers,
Yes that was my understanding, that East Taylor sold to S&S.
Vic
Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

blfrankjr

Post by blfrankjr »

I expect the question comes down to how much are you willing to pay for a reproduction hand guard. They would not be cheap to make, especially for such limited demand. I doubt you could have them made for what Mr. Schwartz charged. So would folks pay nearer what it costs for an original to have a reproduction made?

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

S&S didn't always use East Taylor. I have one that I got from them that was as light as balsa, and drank stain about the same. Come to think of it, I've not seen that thing for awhile. Wonder what I did with it!