Not a Grandfather, but a Great Uncle story....

U.S. Military Krags
haps

Not a Grandfather, but a Great Uncle story....

Post by haps »

Happy New Year everyone. I've been lurking for a while attempting to learn a bit more about my new Krag and realized this may be the place for me. My 90 year old Great Uncle, a WWII Seabee veteran, gave me his 1898 Krag over the holidays. When I asked for the backstory and the history, he mentioned that it (and 4 others) were acquired during the early 70's, possibly as a result of a extended evening of poker playing. Nevertheless, my local gun shops couldn't give me the details like I've found on this site, so I'm hoping your well trained eyes might shed a little light on what I've been given. He's a wonderful man and I have no plans to sell it as it has now become priceless. Thanks very much. Pics to follow.

haps

Re: Not a Grandfather, but a Great Uncle story....

Post by haps »

Lets try this:ImageImageImageImageImage

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Welcome to the forum... and to the wonderful world of Krags!

Can't access the pictures. You could try just posting them here. If they're too big, you may need to reduce them.

haps

Post by haps »

Thanks very much for the welcome. Just working out the syntax to post pics.

haps

Post by haps »

..more..ImageImageImageImageImage

haps

Post by haps »

Thanks everyone. I can post pics to better show areas if needed. I believe it was manufactured in 1899 based on the serial number. The dude at the gun store told me that the nickel plating isn't "factory"....that's about all I know. I'd LOVE to fire it when the weather breaks, so any advice on cleaning it before doing so would be very much appreciated.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Well, that's a very nice looking 1898. You have the 1896 rear sight which is most likely what it had originally. It looks like it might have been plated and polished for ceremonial duty... perhaps with a VFW or American Legion. How's the bore?

To clean it, just do like you would any other rifle. I always remove the bolt and clean from the receiver end with a long rod (prevents undue muzzle wear). I use Hoppe #9 and a bronze brush to scrub, then swab and oil with Remington oil. To remove the bolt, lift up on the extractor while turning the bolt to the left and back. Install in reverse order. Further disassembly is not difficult... but you must NEVER try to snap off the handguard. Remove the barreled action from the stock, and remove the rear sight. Then, SLIDE the handguard off the barrel. Assemble in reverse. Removal of the loading gate and such is not normally necessary for cleaning unless you have a problem. I perform a full disassembly about once a year to check things out, clean and lube. Otherwise, I usually just clean the bore and action.

I shoot my Krag every month in Vintage Rifle Matches. Yours could be a great candidate for that also!

Hoot

Post by Hoot »

One caveat: Hoppe's #9 is not recommended for nickel finishes. You will either need to be careful or move to another cleaner.

h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

Very Cool Rifle, It will be interesting if you can find out where it was acquired and how it came to wear that interesting finish. Thanks for sharing.
Mike W.

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

Some of those shiny ceremonial Krags from the American Legion or VFW were altered to fire .30-06 BLANKS for funerals, etc. You need to take a careful look at the chamber. Maybe see if an empty .30-06 case will enter the chamber. If so, can you close the bolt? Do that before you try to shoot factory Krag ammo.