2nd Krag

U.S. Military Krags
TexTenn59

2nd Krag

Post by TexTenn59 »

I picked up my second Krag today after a long search of gun stores looking for a "correct" Krag. My first one was a cut down with 1903 front sight.

It's a 1898 model with a 1900 cartouche, serial number 271606 which should be correct year for 1900. It's in decent shape with just a little rust in bore, nice patina on metal, but some rusty spots here and there.

Assuming it shoots and functions correctly, I would like to take it to Camp Perry next year for the Roosevelt match. The rear sight looks to me to be a 1896. I'd like to swap this out with a rear sight with windage adjustment. Which rear sight with windage adjustment would be "correct" for this rifle?

ImageImageImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Re: 2nd Krag

Post by butlersrangers »

'TexTen59' - Both the model 1901 and model 1902 rear sights can be correct for your model 1898 Krag and provide for windage adjustment. Be advised, however, that the model 1896, model 1901 and model 1902 rear-sights have different and specific hand-guards.Image

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Whether you use a 1901 or 1902 can be subjective based on your individual tastes. I personally prefer the 1902 with the Sgt. Peep extended. Many shooting in matches prefer the 1901. My advice would be to research the two sights and find what would work best for your needs. If you install the 1901, and then find you would rather have a 1902, you're going to have to purchase another hand guard and rear sight!!!

Also, if you're going to shoot in matches (Roosevelt or Vintage), you'll need to decide if you'll use the peep or not. The Peep on Krag sights is unbelievably small (0.04), however you can legally alter the rear sight per CMP rules to enlarge the peep up to 0.1. The Sgt. Peep on the 1902 sight can only be enlarged to around 0.07 before you damage the plate... but that is sufficient to make the sight very useable... and accurate!!!

Finally, if you intend on shooting your Krag in matches, there will be no shortage of people here (yours truly included) to help you get started!

Paul

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

Front sight blades are also different. The one for the 1896 rear sight is very short to set the "battle" zero at about 300 yds. with the rear sight all the way down. Later models set battle zero on the rear sight. So a front sight change may also be needed.

TexTenn59

Post by TexTenn59 »

Thanks for the reply's. I may swap the hand guard and 1901 sight on my cut down "carbine" and give it a try.

Ned, is there a place if can use to figure out the correct front sight blade height?

Thanks again!

Edit: Looked around, looks like 0.43" is correct. Also know understand difference between 1901 and 1902 sights - some I looked at did not show the peep on the 1902, all I saw was the notch. Not having to flip up the ladder like on the 1901 to use peep is handy when using a hat - had that issue with the M1917 in a match!!!! :( Then again, the sight is much further out....

Edit: Holy smokes, 1902 handguard cost's more than the 1902 rear sight! Can anyone steer me towards more reasonable handguards? Maybe where one can buy the set?

TexTenn59

Post by TexTenn59 »

Front sight blades are also different. The one for the 1896 rear sight is very short to set the "battle" zero at about 300 yds. with the rear sight all the way down. Later models set battle zero on the rear sight. So a front sight change may also be needed.

Got the front sight blade out, 0.284" tall. Now to find a taller front sight blade.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

FYI:

Lt. Col. William S. Brophy measured a sampling of Krag front-sight blades and illustrated the results in his book, "The Krag Rifle", page114.

1892 Rifle (rear sight) - front sight blade = .275" high

1896 Rifle (rear sight) - front sight blade = .286" high

1898, 1901, 1902 Rifle (rear sights) - front sight blade = .413" high

1896 Carbine (rear sight) - front sight blade = .266" high

1898, 1901, 1902 Carbine (rear sights) - front sight blade = .355"

(Note: These measurements are just the blade height and do not include the height of the Krag base, that was dovetailed and brazed to the barrel. The base was identical on all issued U. S. Krag models).

IMHO - It is very likely there are some 'issued' Krag front-sight blades that were probably filed and altered by Armorers and Match Shooters, to adjust the elevation of the point of impact.

TexTenn59

Post by TexTenn59 »

This site and members are awesome! The is an incredible amount of information and knowledge archived here. Thanks for sharing!

I stumbled across this thread with a drawing of the front sight - http://www.kragcollectorsassociation.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1256301724. It confirms the reply above. Now I have a reference to make one to conform to spec, it won't be an original, but I doubt I'll win any matches that'll call for close inspection. ;D

Thanks again!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Another minor problem in switching rear sights, is the issue of the correct screws. (The 1901 sight requires a peculiar front screw. The 1892 & 1896 sights have a longer front screw). The various 'short' screws will generally interchange.

Reproduction sight screws and sight blades can be purchased from S&S Firearms, Glendale, N. Y.

The KCA Classifieds list a vendor, who makes reproduction hand-guards. The reproductions are expensive and not as nice or close fitting as a good original, but, better than nothing.

There are also parts sellers listed in Classifieds, who might be able to help with original items.

TexTenn59

Post by TexTenn59 »

Got her all cleaned up. The bore and chamber had more rust than I thought....but they look shiny now after a lot of elbow grease. Even swapped out the 1901 sight and handguard off my first "carbine" rifle. Rubbing down stripped stock with BLO, like I did to Garands, M1 Carbines, 1903 & A3 and 1917, as it looks so dull and dry. I have a correct height front sight blade on order.

Had one issue, the last round would not feed without a really hard push. After searching this site and comparing parts on my Carbine, I found the culprit - the pin holding the follower and carrier together was sticking up ever so slightly catching the rim of the cartridge. With a small file and a light touch I filed it down and finished it off with emory cloth. Smooth as butter and loads like it was meant too.

Now to work up loads with that 200 round stash of new Remington brass I thankfully bought back in 2009 for the Carbine while I add coats of BLO on the stock.