2nd Krag

U.S. Military Krags
TexTenn59

Re: 2nd Krag

Post by TexTenn59 »

Tried out my loads with 4350 today. Averaged 1990 fps, need to come down a little more from 40.3 gr (Sierra estimated this to be around 1900 fps). The grouping was about 3 times that of 4064. Maybe I need to step up to CC1 250 primers instead of 200's for more consistent burn with this slow powder????? 250's seem to be the recommended primers on this forum.

On a side note - two sheriff deputies drove up to the range asking about a report of a black sedan driving around all suspicious like. I offer to let them shoot the Krag. They both hit a steel target at 120 yards. They were both impressed with accuracy and mild recoil of a 116 year old rifle. I think it made their day.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

For what it's worth, I use the CCI-250s with my loads. I've arguments both for and against the use of the magnum primer with a Krag load... but I've been pretty happy with my results. I like the consistent full burn that I get with them!

TexTenn59

Post by TexTenn59 »

I'm a little slow on reporting back final load selected. I went to Anniston a day early for my late October CMP Advanced Armorers class to get the Krag sighted in at 200 yds at the CMP Talladega range. More than happy with the results, as can be seen in a picture of the electronic scoring monitor. Too cool!!!

39.9 gr IMR 4350
220 gr Sierra RN
Remington brass
Winchester WLRM primer Seated to 3.000"
Av velocity is 1972.6 fps

Also stretched my Rem 700 308 with suppressor out to 600 yds. It was a great day!

I highly recommend the Advanced Armorers Class to anyone that wants to know the ins and outs of an M1 Garand by building one from parts. Head spacing a new barrel is no longer a mystery to me. All it takes are the right tools and patience to not rush it. Picked up a late 1943 Springfield with early 1944 barrel at the CMP store while there. They are addictive. So little range time..........ImageImage

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

If I'm reading that right... looks like a 96-4X, which is awesome!!! You're going to give Bob and I a real run for our money this year in the Roosevelt!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Talladega appears to be a beautiful Range facility!

I'm glad you are having fun.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

I wonder if they might use the decimal portions of the scores as tie breakers, or if they are tallied and included in the final total? It wouldn't be fair to talley them as some have to shoot the regular targets without the decimal scores. As we would score them, I only see two nines.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

I only saw two nines too...but I assume that the white dot is much larger than the hole profile itself, and so they might appear to us as tens.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

Right, like marking a shot that's close to the line, I'd assume those are the two 9.9s. Looks like he's having no problem as is, but as far as "as issued" goes, one is also allowed to make thicker blades, they just have to be the same contour as the original. Mine are .080" thick and a bit taller as I shoot lighter bullets at higher velocity. The 1898 rifle sights I use have a V notch cut into them too. I think there were also Army regulations that allowed some personal modification. Most likely for target shooters.

TexTenn59

Post by TexTenn59 »

When I was there for the D Day Garand match, decimals were truncated. So a 9.9 was scored as a 9.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Unfortunately, they don't round up... or we'd all be scoring for Gold :D