Krag Book

U.S. Military Krags
musketjon

Krag Book

Post by musketjon »

I have Poyer's book on the Krag Rifles. I have a chance to acquire an excellent condition copy of Brophy's Krag book for a C-note. Is it worth it, or should I try to hold out for a copy of Malloy's (Mallory?) book? Is it worth twice the price of Brophy's book?
Thanks
Jon

butlersrangers

Re: Krag Book

Post by butlersrangers »

'musketjon' - It is hard to advise someone, whose tastes, interests, and enthusiasm may differ from mine.

IMHO, $100 is a good price for Brophy's, "The Krag Rifle". I find this book to have better material on Norwegian Krags and better photographs than Mallory's book. (It is also a lot easier to find).

I find Mallory's Second Edition of, "The Krag Rifle Story", very enjoyable. It was improved over the 1st edition in many ways, especially, in having a lot of SRS data, regarding Krags. The Second Edition, (Not - second printing of 1st edition), is very hard to find.

I consider these two works to complement each other. There is overlap, but, there is some different content and conclusions. It is a pleasure to own both works.

I also enjoy Poyer's book as a kind of field guide and take it on trips. I make my own notes in it. I try to find errors and make corrections. I find this inexpensive reference useful.

I enjoy books and have never regretted adding to my Krag library. I hope this is helpful.

musketjon

Re: Krag Book

Post by musketjon »

Thank you, Sir.
I will get the Brophy book.
Just as an aside, did I mention that I know Joe Poyer personally?
Jon