1898 Krag rifle

U.S. Military Krags
cotntop

1898 Krag rifle

Post by cotntop »

I recently acquired a Krag that appears to have had the stock cut off at the lower band. Not new to vintage rifles, I own 1903 and Garands. Just want to start off right. S/N 450682 with 30 in. barrel, metal and stock is in great shape. What are options for a full stock restoration? Thanks

butlersrangers

Re: 1898 Krag rifle

Post by butlersrangers »

A nice walnut forearm blank can be obtained from 'Schwartz' @ (www.partsforantiqueguns.com), who advertises in the KCA Classifieds.

A Krag front barrel-band with stacking-swivel and screws can be found on ebay or Gun Shows.

Parts investment for forearm restoration will run about $150. (Or you can enjoy your Krag as it is).

Caution - Most Collectors will not want a 'spliced stock' and restorations can quickly become a 'money pit'.

"parashooter" has posted this strong splice diagram in the past on the KCA Forum. (The splice is hidden by the rear barrel-band). ImageImage

cotntop

Post by cotntop »

Thanks, gonna try forearm splice. Not worried about collectors value.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

If you intend to shoot CMP Vintage or Roosevelt matches, you will definitely need to repair the forearm. FWIW

cotntop

Post by cotntop »

Will try and get pics up with help from grandson. I appreciate the help, already ordered the wood.