Krag Stripper Clips

U.S. Military Krags
bote

Krag Stripper Clips

Post by bote »

Just got a couple of Psteinmayer's stripper clips. These things are amazing. I can load my Krags faster than a 1903, 1917, Mosin, or Mauser. If the US military ever gets wind of these they'll muster the Krags back into service.

psteinmayer

Re: Krag Stripper Clips

Post by psteinmayer »

Thanks very much for the words of praise and confidence! I'll keep makin 'em so long as Krag shooter keep wantin 'em!

So sorry that it took me extra time to make... and my sincerest apologies to Brionic also. Hopefully, in the future, I'll get back to my previous "Speedy" turnaround!

bote

Post by bote »

So are these based on an original design or are they your own creation? I can't imagine the military not using these if they had them.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

The design is actually Parashooter's. He graciously allowed me to use his instructions and design template to make these... and I owe a HUGE debt of gratitude to him!

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

They sure save a lot of frustration that comes when you try to get five loose rounds into the box. Some fellows have practiced enough that they can load loose ones without losing too much time, but I was never one of them.

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

The design is actually Parashooter's.
I thought so until I found this picture from a Norwegian museum collection -

[attachment=2]NorKragSpeedHagens.jpg[/attachment]
Literally, "Hagen's load frame", but "charger" seems a better word. (I try to avoid "stripper clip" as a nonsense term invented by us poor Yanks who have trouble differentiating between "clip" and "charger" - adding "stripper" to enhance our confusion. Of course back in the Krag era, we called them all "packets".::))

Hagen was a significant presence even back when Oslo was called Kristiana (pre-1925). This Lyman 48K, made here in Connecticut and much-modified by Hagen, was fitted to my 1925-dated M1912/22 long before I found it in a local shop -

[attachment=0]Hagen48a.jpg[/attachment]
Mnsterbeskyttet = Trademark? Tiny lettering above slide binding nut reads "Lyman, Middlefield". Elevation markings are in meters (x100), calibrated for same trajectory as service tangent.

[attachment=1]Hagen48b.jpg[/attachment]
Aperture was re-positioned below cross-arm and long stop screw fitted from below, adapting Lyman 48 to work with normal-height front sight.

I found this on the web at http://norskevaapen.no/?p=2455 (interesting site) -

[hr]L H Hagen

A little taste of a Norwegian Gunsmiths store from 1908. Its a pity the fixtures and fittings like these no more are to be found at least not in our part of the World.

L. H. Hagen was a successful gunsmith and probably Mr. Larsens largest customer in the 1870s. He was never the inventor that Larsen was, but he was a good business man and built up a solid business that lasted almost 100 years. He is possibly best known for his Hagen Herkules rifle, built on Larsens tennstempel rifles principles, but with a bettered locking enabling it to fire more powerful smokeless cartridges.
Attachments
Hagen48a.jpg
Hagen48a.jpg (330.77 KiB) Viewed 796 times
Hagen48b.jpg
Hagen48b.jpg (295.77 KiB) Viewed 796 times
NorKragSpeedHagens.jpg
NorKragSpeedHagens.jpg (215.79 KiB) Viewed 796 times
Last edited by Parashooter on Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

Nothing new under the sun, as they say.

musketjon

Post by musketjon »

Can these be used in any Krag rifle or do you need one of the ones that has the stripper clip modification done to it?
Thanks
Jon

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Howdy Jon,

They will work with any US Krag. If you watch the clip here, you'll see me using one in the Vintage Match last year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z80OJ_WhYZk

Paul

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

Dimensioned appropriately, this design will work for either .30 USA or 6.5 Norwegian Krags. No alteration or other accessories needed.