In need of information

U.S. Military Krags
Jvlv07

In need of information

Post by Jvlv07 »

So I acquired this rifle from a family friend. It's labeled Springfield armory but it's not stamped in the traditional manner. I can't really seem to find an actual serial number on it but the only two number markings on it are "1894" and "2012". It's chambered in 30-40 krag and it looks to be sporterized but something doesn't seem quite right about it. Can anyone help me out with some info on it? ImageImage

psteinmayer

Re: In need of information

Post by psteinmayer »

Howdy, welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Krags!

You have a sporterized US Krag rifle with a cut down barrel (with a 1903 front sight installed) and shortened stock. It appears that the Krag has been re-blued in addition to being sporterized.

The serial number should be a series of numbers to the right of "Springfield Armory" (1894 will be to the left). If this is where 2012 is located, then that is the serial number (WOW, a pretty low number at that!). A clear close-up picture of the left side of the receiver will confirm this.

Check the bottom of the stock under the barrel for a channel that has been filled in, which should be evident. If so, then this will be a early stock with the cleaning rod channel that has been filled in.

Should be a nice shooter and hunting rifle!