Collecting Krag sights

U.S. Military Krags
butlersrangers

Re: Collecting Krag sights

Post by butlersrangers »

S&S Firearms (Glendale, N.Y.) has reproduction 'elevator lock-screws' for model 1901 and model 1898/1902 Krag rear-sights, for $12.50. Their catalog is viewable on-line.

bote

Post by bote »

Is the M1902 the only peep sight?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

With its leaf 'up', the model 1901 sight allows the choice of a 'U' notch (S) or 'peep' (T).ImageImage

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

Some of 1901 sights were modified with a "U" cut below "C" in BR's pic above, for shorter range work.

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

I have a 3rd Model Winder in .22 Short fitted with a 2nd Model barrel. The barrel is drilled & tapped for Krag sights. The Winder also has the issue Lyman side mount receiver sight.

I have tried both the 1901 and 1902 Krag sights for gallery work, first removing the Lyman sight & slide. Both are horrible for any sort of gallery shooting.

Cat Man

Post by Cat Man »

Speaking of collecting Krag sights.........
This little gem came to the collection a few years ago. 1920's or early 30's vintage.
The Lyman 17A is usually seen on the M1903 Springfield target range rifles. It provides a shooter with different front sight picture options by changing the sight inserts. Not legal for CMP match shooting. Installed on a Krag, the rifle would be in the NRA Match Rifle class (except there is no provision for clip loading).

The vendor damaged the Lyman box label by placing a sticky price tag over the box label. Arrrggg, why do they do that??? After careful removal, the legend reads "Front Sight with nine inserts" and in a hand written script, the word "Krag".

I have purchased many Lyman 17A front sights for other rifles, but this is the only one I every ran into for the Krag.

Jeff the Caterpillar Man

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Neat! Thanks for sharing.