Introduction and questions about muzzle covers.

U.S. Military Krags
Hoot

Introduction and questions about muzzle covers.

Post by Hoot »

Howdy! New guy here. As a background, I have a couple Krags as well as a Ruger No. 3 in .30-40. The Krags were both sporters when purchased but they sure are fun to shoot. Had one out just this past weekend blasting water bottles in the gravel pit.

Hopefully, this is the correct sub-forum for this query...

Anyway, I bought a box o' stuff to get a couple of things I needed for other projects and then set to trying to ID the rest of the loot. Part of the haul was a brass muzzle cover that I later found out was for the US Krag. Further 'research' led to finding reproduction covers were also out there. How does one tell a reproduction from an original?

Also, originals seem to be priced in the $80 +/- range. Is this about right?

Thanks for any insight.

Dick Hosmer

Re: Introduction and questions about muzzle covers.

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Welcome!

Other than looking in a mirror, recognizing "old" takes some experience!

I have never seen a "mint" muzzle cover. Even the nice ones will show some minute pitting, scratches, stains, dirt, etc. I was, however, unaware that they were being reproduced.

As to the price, it has skyrocketed during my collecting years. What was once a $5 item has gone to over $100 in some venues. So, I suppose that $80 would represent the general softness in which our hobby is currently mired.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

I paid about $100 for my original about two years ago... FWIW. Of course, condition plays into this equation, and mine is pretty decent.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I recently picked up a good original on ebay for $55. I think $65 to $75 is a realistic price.

Dick Hosmer gave good advice on having to develop an eye for original items, through observation and experience.

S&S Firearms has cataloged a 'reproduction Krag brass muzzle-cover' for a number of years, at $30. I have never seen one in person.
(I disagree with this type of item being made, unless its reproduction status is made obvious by 'markings').

Hoot

Post by Hoot »

Thanks fellas! My *assumption* is that it's original due to the rest of the contents in the box. Not 100% certain of course but it seems to have been one of those boxes that got kicked around someone's shop for a long time. My biggest concern was I didn't want to represent it as an original if it weren't.

Numrich also offers them => https://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/1085290.htm

Mr. Hosmer, Yep, I see old every time I look in the mirror! ;)

Thanks again!
Hoot

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

FWIW - Numrich reproduction 'muzzle-cover' appears to have a copper axis rivet/pin.

Original Krag 'muzzle-covers' will have a neatly peened steel rivet/pin.Image

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I don't know why, but, this thread started by 'Hoot' temporarily disappeared. I accessed it through my 'profile page', did a reply, and it materialized. ???Old Computer ... How Do He Know???

It is funny how the price of original Krag brass muzzle-covers has changed. Young Dick Hosmer remembers them being a $5.00 item. The last few years on ebay, they seem to sell for $75.

In the days of W. Stokes Kirk, they sold for a Nickel!

(p.s. - Don't believe the description that says the muzzle-cover fits the Krag carbine).Image