help needed on recent find - 1894 carbine ?

U.S. Military Krags
pastafozol

help needed on recent find - 1894 carbine ?

Post by pastafozol »

Hi. I'm looking for some assistance to better understand a recent find. My brother and I were cleaning out our fathers garage which contained numerous items he's collected over the past few decades. One of the items discovered is a Springfield Arms 30-40 Krag . I believe the rifle is a carbine since it contains a metal butt on the stock with a compartment. The rifle is stamped 1894 with serial #14384. Also the rifle contains a metal name plate and notches on the barrel. Upon finding it, we remembered that our father used the rifle for deer in the 70's. It appears in good condition. I have photos but can not uploaded them until tomorrow or so. Any insight would be appreciated

Culpeper

Re: help needed on recent find - 1894 carbine ?

Post by Culpeper »

Welcome to the worlds greatest Krag forum.

Pictures will help us tell you whatcha got.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

It is already possible - from the serial number - to tell you that the arm was a Model 1892 rifle (1894 is the earliest date to be found) and if it has a barrel shorter than 30" it has been cut-down. Only two (2) carbines were made for trial and they are both accounted for. So, the only question would be how much remains. Here is a pic of what a Model 1892 rifle looked like as originally made.Image

pastafozol

Post by pastafozol »

here are some pics (I can get better ones later). I most interested in the notches on the barrel and the name plate on the stock. ImageImageImageImage

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

That is a carbine stock. Open the trap and look down the hole and see if there are three drilled holes or two drilled holes.

Get a picture of the front and rear sights. The other guys will have more information about your W. S. Kirk gun.

Very interesting find you have there.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

With that banded front sight, it's most likely a cutoff rifle barrel. Legitimate carbine stock though. Measure the barrel from the muzzle to the closed bolt face and let us know it's length. The rear sight appears (at least to me) to be a 1902 rifle rear sight. It should be a fun accurate shooter and hunting rifle.

Would W.S. Kirk be Stokes Kirk?

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Yes.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

Carbines sold better than full length rifles. Stokes and Bannerman made up and sold a bunch of them. The short 1896 carbine stock might pique someones interest, especially if they had a 96 or 98 carbine that had been put into a longer 99 carbine stock. It should be a decent shooter.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I agree: W. Stokes Kirk 'parts gun' - A cut-down model 1892 rifle put in a model 1896 carbine stock.

(p.s. - The 'name plate' was made from the carbine sling/ring plate. The bar has been cut-off and filed smooth).

ImageImageImageImage

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

I suspected as much about the bar. I also was pretty sure about W. Stokes Kirk (I think I was having a brain fart, LOL).