Looking to purchase first Krag and need advice

U.S. Military Krags
Parashooter

Re: Looking to purchase first Krag and need advice

Post by Parashooter »

"Used Condition
FFL is required"

Did they really require an FFL to ship this clearly antique arm?

LacedaemonianXI

Post by LacedaemonianXI »

Parashooter I had thought the exact same thing when I first looked at the auction. I may be wrong, and someone else might be able to better explain, but after I did some research on it apparently if a certain percentage of the rifle is refinished it is no longer able to be classified as an antique and must be transferred through an FFL. Again that was just what I gathered from some basic research into the topic.

LacedaemonianXI

I emailed the seller inquiring about this. They even have it posted under the firearm shipping policies on GB

'Antique' firearms need not be shipped to a licensed dealer. These can be shipped directly to the buyer. An antique firearm is a firearm built in or before 1898, or a replica thereof. The exact ATF definition of an antique firearm is:
Antique firearm. (a) Any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; and (b) any replica of any firearm described in paragraph (a) of this definition if such replica (1) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or (2) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

A lot of the FFLs have the guns on their books, and get all excited about nothing. All they have to do is enter "sold as antique" in their bound book, case closed. There's no good reason for you to have to go through and pay another dealer, no reason for a background check either.

By the way, it appears your purchase has had the barrel free floated, like one of my 92/96s has had done. I'll bet it will be a very accurate shooter.

LacedaemonianXI

Madsenshooter they emailed me back and told me they had made an error listing it must be shipped through an FFL. They will be shipping it directly to me.

I don't think I've ever been more excited to take a rifle out to the range! Can't wait to get a crack at this thing.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Yer gonna love it! Krags seem to get under your skin and take hold of your soul... and most of us that start with one, wind up with several (warning, they tend to multiply when you're not looking, LOL). You'll find that the Krag has the slickest bolt you will ever encounter, and they are a absolute joy to shoot! Hands down my favorite!