Looking to purchase first Krag and need advice

U.S. Military Krags
LacedaemonianXI

Looking to purchase first Krag and need advice

Post by LacedaemonianXI »

Hey all

New here and I'm looking to purchase my first Krag and am looking for some advice. I would like to obtain a rifle that is as original as I can get while still being able to be fired and used as a shooter. I don't really mind it being refinished since I want to shoot it and I'm not looking to dish out the thousands a mint Krag can cost. Not a collector and don't want a wall hanger. Just want a nice but original shooter. Not sporterized. I was wondering what you guys who have been in the Krag game for awhile thought about this one I found on GB. From what I can gather as a rookie its a Model 1892 that has been converted into an 1896. The refinishing is beautiful and looks like it would be a great shooter.

Are the parts right for a converted 1892? The sights look to be 1896 and although the cartouche is barely visible I think I can make out a stylized JSA. What does the P mean? Is the refinishing part of the 1896 conversion or from an arsenal? What would be a good price for the rifle?

Thanks in advance for the info. I plan on buying a book and doing the research but I don't want to pass up what looks to be a pretty cool rifle.

LacedaemonianXI

Re: Looking to purchase first Krag and need advice

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/584161737

Link to the rifle

FredC

Post by FredC »

The rifle is certainly "pretty". By doing all the polishing and bluing the collectors value has been diminished. In my opinion a Krag should have a worn case hardening with all the battle scars. I see the bids are getting up there, so there may be a market for highly finished Krags also. If you are buying a Krag to enjoy and you like the non collector finish, I guess whatever you pay to make you happy is good. If the bore is as good looking as the outside it could certainly be a pleasure to shoot and enjoy.
The regulars will be able to help you with knowledge on sights and parts that have been switched and such.

LacedaemonianXI

Ironically that's also the part that I'm hesitant about lol the rifle is almost too pretty! If the parts are original and I'm looking at a legit 1892 conversion that might have seen some action in the Spanish-American War I can look past the refinish. I will probably end up searching for a true collector at some point anyway. I've always thought the Krag was a fascinating weapon system, just have never bit on one yet lol

Mark_Daiute

Post by Mark_Daiute »

perfectly honest, righteous Krags are going in the 600 range.

LacedaemonianXI

Yeah that would be about the ceiling for what I would pay for this particular rifle. All the research I've done has led me to believe this rifle is accurate and original besides the refinish.

MPF

Post by MPF »

Don't discount the finish as a component of value.

The previous reply pointed out that original rifles can be had for $600 +/-. To my mind a refinished rifle is like a restorable sporterized. It can be made right at some cost whether that is money or just time, and it probably will never be as valuable as it would if it was unmolested and unrestored.
Unless there is something else about it like a rare rear sight, or the S/N is a hit on SRS the finish would be a deal breaker at a "retail" price.
This coming from the guy with several "less than pristine" examples in his safe. :-[

LacedaemonianXI

I think I may be trying to kill two birds with one stone and that may be harder than I thought it would be lol I want a mostly original rifle, as in original and correct parts, but in the condition that will allow me to handle and shoot the rifle. I definitely don't want a wall hanger since that defeats the purpose of the rifle to me. I want to be able to take it out and have fun while also retaining the historical value and uniqueness of the Krag. The listing that I posted appeals to me because I feel as though I'm finding the best possible example of that. A correct and original rifle that has been refinished to be a great shooter. What I'm trying to say is my greatest concern has become that the rifle parts are original and correct for the weapon. I've been doing research since I came across this rifle and from what I've found it is. I was just seeing if somebody more experienced in Krags could confirm that for me. The best thing about those less than pristine rifles are that they come with a whole lot of character! lol

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

In my humble opinion, it's a nice looking "Restored" Krag that would be great for shooting, both fun shooting and in registered Vintage Rifle matches. If that is what you are after, and the price remains reasonable, then I say go for it. If the price starts getting up there (above $700) then I'd pass, as decent "Original Condition" Krags can be had for that price, and are absolutely competitive shooters too! Unfortunately, many times, people refinish their Krags in the hope that it will be considered a museum quality weapon that would command a higher price... but the prudent collector would discount this as the collectability is destroyed.

LacedaemonianXI

I appreciate your opinion and post! I ended up winning it for $631. A little above what I wanted it for (didn't want to go above 600) but I got a little too excited lol I agree with you and I think this is gonna be a perfect shooter! I actually like the fact that it's a converted 1892 model, adds character to it lol I appreciate everyone's opinions and help from your posts!