1899 carbine with odd barrel

U.S. Military Krags
butlersrangers

Re: 1899 carbine with odd barrel

Post by butlersrangers »

FWIW: If your bore is good, I would recommend fixing the rear sight knob and enjoying your nice Krag, as it is. Put the additional money into shooting, developing a library, and more Krags!

BTW: That is a correct model 1901 carbine sight on your Krag. There are three "c" markings: on base, side of leaf, and on 'slide-notch'.

RedLeg0811

Post by RedLeg0811 »

Will do, thanks. I have wanted a Krag for a long time, but the ones that I saw were either too expensive or messed with and the person wanted unmessed with prices. I will get a Krag rifle to add to my collection. Just not sure when.

Thanks

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'RedLeg0811': I am curious about the length of your Krag's barrel.

Your Krag is a nice utility rifle that you don't have to feel guilty about using. Carbine length Krags are fun shooters.

IMHO - You also have some valuable parts: 1899 carbine stock ($300), 1901 carbine rear-sight ($150), 1899 carbine barrel-band ($50), plus all the other parts. More fun than money in the bank!

(p.s. - If they appear chewed up, your barrel's sight-screw holes were probably damaged by 'forcing' incorrect thread replacement screws. Original Krag sight-screws have an unusual .156"X30tpi thread).

RedLeg0811

Post by RedLeg0811 »

I will try and measure tonight as I will be in the shop working with my son on his Cub Scout regatta boat.

This is why I like the old military firearms as it is like a puzzle to figure out what happened with it. I do find it interesting that the barrel was replaced as the rest of the rifle is in good shape very little rust in some of the cervices that I was able to clean up with Corrosion X, cotton patch and elbow grease. Wonder if it was shot and not cleaned then the bore was super corroded.

Thanks
Martin

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Martin: The U. S. military .30-40 ammo was quite corrosive with the early smokeless powders and mercuric priming. If proper cleaning was not done, soon after firing, there was damage to the bore.

I have a model 1899 Krag, similar to yours, that was used for Hunting. It has a pristine bore and a replacement 'banded front-sight'. The barrel is a original Krag barrel, but, it is 22&1/4 inches long. It has to be a rifle barrel that was shortened. When I got the Krag, it was in a horribly re-shaped Krag carbine stock. I put it in a cut-down rifle stock and it is probably my favorite Krag for shooting!

The Krag was very inexpensive and popular, as a Hunting rifle, in the 1920s to 1940s. There were surplus parts and barrels. There were commercial 'after-market' sights available. Sometimes 1903 Springfield barrels were altered to .30-40 for use on the Krag. The 1903 Springfield front-sight was a cheap and viable replacement sight. Altering Krags was common work for professional and amateur gunsmiths of that era.

IMHO - Barrel replacement seems to have been relatively common on Krags used for Hunting. (Who wants a crappy bore)? ImageImage

RedLeg0811

Post by RedLeg0811 »

I measured the barrel and it was 22".

Here are some other picture. Noticed the 48 by the proof mark. Not sure what it is for? It has been awhile since I have read Poyers book, so it might be in there.

img

img

img

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The #48 is believed to be a sub-inspector or stock worker mark. Most Krags have initials or a number in that area. (The exact identity or significance is now unknown).

Nice New Jersey marked butt-plate.

The barrel crown is not the correct muzzle 'contour' for Springfield Armory work. It is likely someone cut a longer barrel to 22 inches.

Then again, maybe the crown just looks odd because a 'step' was turned at the muzzle area to accept the 1903 'banded' front-sight.

FWIW - Fitting a 1903 Springfield front-sight was a common and inexpensive 'Civilian fix' to provide a sight on a shortened barrel. It is unlikely this would be done on a carbine barrel, which had a perfectly nice front-sight base, for which various commercial sight blades were available.

(For comparison - photo of 1899 carbine front sight & muzzle area): Image

RedLeg0811

Post by RedLeg0811 »

Thanks for all the info. It will still be a fun rifle to shoot. I have not had the chance yet. It is annoying that I belong to a range and have not had time to use it between, family stuff, work and Cub Scouts with my son.

Thanks again
Martin