Which Book to Buy

U.S. Military Krags
RangeHound

Which Book to Buy

Post by RangeHound »

If you were going to be able to only purchase one book right now would it be THE KRAG RIFLE STORY by FFramklin B Mallory or The KRAG RIFLE by Lt. Col. William S. Brophy? Thanks for the opinions.

Ron

AzMedic

Re: Which Book to Buy

Post by AzMedic »

I'm currently reading the Col. Brophy book, I first bought the Joe Poyer book ($20) and later found a copy of Mr. Mallory's book from another collector. I've been told there is a 4th book by Mr. Farmer (member of this forum) also that is available. As I haven't completely read all of the books, I can relay what I was told when I was searching for the books (asked the same question your posting) - Mr. Mallory's has more details from the SRS but that Col. Brophy's has clearer pictures.

butlersrangers

Re: Which Book to Buy

Post by butlersrangers »

There is no perfect 'Krag Book', however, these four books have different coverage and strengths.

For someone new to Krags and limited with 'library funds', I would suggest buying in this sequence. FWIW:

1. Joe Poyer's book ($20), "The American Krag Rifle and Carbine". It has lots of information and very good photographs. It can help one avoid easy mistakes.

[I have found some mistakes in the text and captions. His system of 'Types', for variations in parts, is not official nomenclature and the illusion of serial numbers, having precise known manufacture dates, has angered or irritated some individuals].

The book is an inexpensive collector's guide. It is convenient to take to gun shows and on trips. You can learn much, write in it, make notes and not feel guilty.

2. Franklin Mallory's book (about $100 to $200 used), "The Krag Rifle Story", 2nd edition.

Get the 2nd edition! Improved paper and format, over earlier edition, more content, and Krag SRS data.

3. Brophy's book (about $125 used), "The Krag Rifle". The book has better paper and picture quality than Mallory's. It also shows improved coverage of Norwegian and Danish Krags. Brophy's information is sometimes different than Mallory's. It is helpful to contrast the two books.

4. Joe Farmer's self published book, "Farmers Notes, Volume 6, Part 1: US Military Krags". (Ordering information and description is in KCA Classifieds).

(I have not seen or read it, yet. I easily made an enemy of the author and he blames me for his leaving the KCA Forum).

Trusted and experienced KCA friends have praised the work.