Too reblue or not to reblue

U.S. Military Krags
CigarArsonist

Too reblue or not to reblue

Post by CigarArsonist »

I know I'm going to get a hundred and fifty different opinions on this but I would like to hear them all. This past week I purchased 1 sporterized and one on molested krag rifles. The original 1895 car being that I purchased has bluing issues and I would like to get some opinions on Reed bluing it. I was thinking about doing the bluing myself

Culpeper

Re: Too reblue or not to reblue

Post by Culpeper »

Frankly it is your gun. Do with it as you please. BUUUUUUUT...

I would vote against it not from a purist mindset but from a practical one. One, it costs to reblue in time and materials. Does the gun shoot any better just 'cause it looks maybe prettier? Chance are it does not.

All of my guns (The Krags) look like, well, you get the picture. They look like how old guns should look and a few of them shoot like champions. The rest? Not so much.

Go ahead. Take your guns on a couple of dates. Get to know them. Name them. (Just not Sherlene) After a couple of deep breaths and a few rounds of shooting the urge will pass to reblue them.

I had a new barrel spun onto the winchester and Turnbull asked if I wanted to have it "aged" to match the receiver. The answer was no since I wanted it to be what is was. A new barrel on an old receiver. Besides that I could not stand to wait an extra week for it due to it was already a month late.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Actually, on this forum, you are likely to get one answer: Don't!

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

I'm also of the "Don't" mindset. Like Culpepper stated, it won't affect how it performs. For me, a deeply blued Krag just don't look right!

FredC

Post by FredC »

I have seen pictures of Krags with deep bluing and I am with Paul on this " For me, a deeply blued Krag just don't look right!" If he had not already said it, I would have.
Maybe I am a worry wart, but the case hardening layer on a Krag is only so deep. If you polish off .005 thickness every 50 years to reblue, pretty soon you will have a piece of junk with no case.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

"Re-Blue" seems a total misnomer to me, where U.S. Krag receivers are concerned. They were never "Blued" to begin with. They were casehardened, which has a kind of 'mottled color' appearance. In time and from wear, the case-colors can take on a silvery color. This can be mistaken for No Finish.

Most refinished Krags also display a loss of 'line' and sharpness of lettering and numbers.

I like honest patina and use. Krags show a complicated array of colors because the various parts received different and specific Armory finishes.

The 'uniform, shiny, homogeneous, black-blue, finish' is a relatively recent development and never looks good on a Krag.

Don't make a 'Noobie' error - Do No Harm! Be patient and study original Krags to get a feel for how a pristine example appears and how wear and exposure age the finish. With 'Study', your taste in gun appearance may change.

(Photos, FWIW, of a used Krag that has worn finish and patina, but, could be mistaken by a novice as 'needing re-finish'):
ImageImageImage

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

I have a M1898 carbine that the previous owner had blued. Oh it looks oh so pretty but it was a perfect example but it lost value because of the bluing and it had a beautiful carbine stock. The problem is it was a six hundred dollar stock reduced to a one hundred and fifty dollar stock because it has screwed in sling swivels.

I'll try and dig it out and get pictures.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

FWIW: sometimes, a Krag may show some signs of light surface corrosion (side plate, loading gate, trigger guard, etc.), which may also give a novice an indication that it needs to be stripped and refinished... but I believe it's normal on a Krag that has seen some action, and so I wouldn't do more than oil her up in that instance.

Jeremy T Garner

Post by Jeremy T Garner »

I agree with not refinishing/re bluing. It seems like expended time, effort, and money to really get you nothing in the long run. As earlier stated the weapon was not blued to begin with so you would be doing more harm than good. The aged/patina look is certainly right for the age of these weapons and I concur with Paul. Nothing more than a good oiling is really necessary to preserve the rifle and keep it as pure to original as possible. I am a bit of a purist though as a military surplus collector. On a side note, nice work scoring a couple of Krags and a warm welcome to the forum!

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

I know I'm going to get a hundred and fifty different opinions on this but I would like to hear them all. This past week I purchased 1 sporterized and one on molested krag rifles. The original 1895 car being that I purchased has bluing issues and I would like to get some opinions on Reed bluing it. I was thinking about doing the bluing myself

Throw some pictures up for us so we can see the condition of the krags. A picture is worth a thou...blah blah blah.