CMP Vintage Krag Rifle Matches

U.S. Military Krags
Cat Man

CMP Vintage Krag Rifle Matches

Post by Cat Man »

So you have had your Krag a while, shot a few holes in paper at the local range, now what to do next?

The Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) has for several years promoted a series of simple, fun, safe rifle matches for new and old shooters with Vintage Krags. Local clubs, regional Games and the National Matches at Camp Perry Ohio all have events for "Vintage Rifle". KRAGS!!!! Matches are simple, fired at 200 Yards (sometimes 100 yards at your local range) 5 Sighting shots, 10 shots prone slow fire, 10 shots rapid fire prone and 10 shots standing slow fire.

This year at Camp Perry Ohio, you can shoot your as issued Krag on July 29 or 30. Then again starting the week of August 10th, the new "Legacy Matches" will begin. The first ever "Roosevelt" match for Krags and M1903's is August 14. Notice big gap in dates. Not so good.

Next year the 2017 matches will hold the CMP service rifle and vintage matches back to back with the Legacy Series including the Roosevelt match. Which means more Krag shooting.

You can find lots of local Vintage (Krag) rifle matches by going to the CMP web site. Click Competitions-Club Sanctioned Matches- Matches- Upcoming - GSM Matches.

Hope we will see you on the firing line.

Cat Man

psteinmayer

Re: CMP Vintage Krag Rifle Matches

Post by psteinmayer »

I will be at both the National Matches... AND the Roosevelt Match. I welcome anyone who wants to shoot to join me. By now, the relays for the Vintage are most likely full, but there may still be room in the Roosevelt, and I invite anyone who has never shot there and wants to (and needs help and advice) to join me. I'll be shooting with my Son, Bob Wolfe (Madsenshooter) and another friend... be there is always room for more!!! Just let us know, and we'll figure out a place and time to meet up before the match.

FWIW, The Roosevelt is open to Krags and 1903s only (meaning no 1903A, 1903A1, 1903A3 or 1903A4). Vintage is open to Krags, 1917 Lee Enfields, and any mechanically operated foreign military rifle (Arisaka, Nagant, Mauser, K31, etc.) Rifles in all classes (Vintage, Springfield, or Garand) at CMP sanctioned matches must be "As-Issued", meaning no cutdown or sporterized rifles. This includes the Roosevelt too.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Paul, what is the status of the M1903 NRA Sporter, so far as vintage matches are concerned? I'd bet that it is not (and in all fairness, rightfully so) allowed. Correct?

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

I believe that is correct Dick. CMP rules are clearly stated in the 2016 Rules handbook, and specify that all rifles registered for Vintage matches must be in "As-Issued" condition. Any parts replaced (barrels, sights, bolts, stocks, etc.) must be either NOS or reproduction using exact specifications, i.e. must be exactly the same as an original part in every way. These same rules apply to the Springfield and Garand matches as well. There is an exception however regarding sights: Rear sight peeps may be modified by as much as 0.1 in, meaning you can enlarge or narrow the peep by 0.1". Using this rule, I enlarged the Sgt. Peep on a spare 1902 rear sight from 0.04 to 0.07" to make it a little easier for target acquisition (that 0.04 peep is ridiculously small). I did this to a spare to preserve the original sight for my 1898, and stored the original in the safe.

Now I'm not sure if these rules apply to the NRA matches held prior to the V,S and G matches, and one would need to consult the rules for that. I do think they apply to the Vintage Sniper match though...

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

I'll have a look at the rules, but from the wording of the first part of your response, it appears that there may be a misunderstanding.

The M1903 NRA Sporter was an original SA model, not to be confused with a sporterized 1903, having some or all of the replacement parts you noted.

They were made in the early 1930s, for private sale, and were never issued to troops for fighting purposes, but they are "original SA-made 1903s."

Given that they had Lyman 48 sights, and a longer sight radius, any shooter with a service rifle would be at some disadvantage before a shot was fired.

Jeremy T Garner

Post by Jeremy T Garner »

Unfortunately I will not be able to attend. I have a 6 month old at home. The wife didn't want to travel with him and certainly didn't want to be left home alone with him either. I was stuck between a rock and a hard place on that one... I am pretty bummed out about it. I would love to get some tips from you Paul on how to be best prepared for next year. Also I was wondering if you had gotten around to making anymore chargers?

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

I would be more than happy to help Jeremy! We'll get you headed in the right direction, and next year, you can squad with me for the match! My first match, I didn't have a clue, and Bob Wolfe (Madsenshooter) took me under his wing. That was 6 years ago... and now I'm happy to pass that torch and help others that want to learn! I understand about your young-un' and the decision to wait until next year too.

As for chargers, I have not made any however I do have some blanks prepared now so popping out a couple isn't much trouble. Did I ever give you my email? If not, then I'll message you with my contact info.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Dick, that's a very good point. Kind of a grey area, as they were never issued to regular troops... and that may be the disqualifying factor... but I'm just not sure.

Jeremy T Garner

Post by Jeremy T Garner »

Thanks Paul! I would love the help so I'm not showing up like a one legged man in an ass kicking contest that's blind folded in a snowstorm, haha! ;) I was all geared up to go too. Just made up some loads with 4350 and 220gr Hornady. I even pulled out my Rick Terry "Rough Rider" statue and put it in my office at work!

Yep I do have your email. Last time we spoke via email you had told me to hold off on sending you money for two of them. I'll shoot you another email.Image

Cat Man

Post by Cat Man »

Lets keep our eye on the target here. The CMP created the Vintage matches to encourage people to participate in marksmanship activities with rifles that were standard issue to troops. The idea is to keep it simple, safe, fun and affordable by using the most common surplus military rifles. Everyone, young or old, novice or expert can compete on an equal footing and not break the bank in the process.

Back in the 1970's and 80's competitive high power shooting turned into an "Arms Race" that saw match and service rifles, ammunition, sights and equipment become so costly that we were intimidating new and old shooters and the sport was dying. I know cuz I was there and quit shooting for a number of years. The CMP matches changed that.

As soon as we start allowing modified rifles (including arsenal modified for sales rifles) in CMP matches, people start waving rule books and adding non issue sights, glass bedding actions and the race starts all over. You shouldn't need an attorney to understand the CMP rules.

To keep people interested in CMP competitions, most local matches will allow people to shoot a modified rifle or even a sporterized one, you just shoot in a different category we call "open" or "out of competition" but you are encouraged to shoot. At the Regional Games and National level, just stick with the standard infantry rifle.

See you on the firing line!

Jeff Rowsam
CMP Master Instructor Garand, Springfield, Vintage Rifle