He's baaaaack!!!

U.S. Military Krags
Dick Hosmer

He's baaaaack!!!

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Our friend Joe Farmer has returned to the Krag forum at Jouster/Culver. Anyone truly interested (regardless of personal feelings) in the real nitty-gritty of Krags would do well to attend the lecture series.

butlersrangers

Re: He's baaaaack!!!

Post by butlersrangers »

I have followed with interest 5MF's recent 'Krag' postings on Culver's Pages. (I abstained from the discussion, because the outcome would be predictable. He has blamed me for the 'deterioration of the KCA site and his leaving it').

I wish 5MF well and a happy retirement! His posts make interesting reading, as Dick Hosmer reports.

1stazmilitia

Post by 1stazmilitia »

butlersrangers,
I stumbled across the above mentioned comments. As a newbe to the Krag family I was totally over whelmed :-/ I felt like sitting through a lecture on how the world was formed. Come on guys, give me(us) a break! >:( I am not a member of that forum, and probably will never join. I resent being talked down to.
Thanks.

1stazmilitia

1stazmilitia

Post by 1stazmilitia »

I failed to mention that I am the new owner of a M'98 rifle purchased on April 1st, and cartouche dated 1900) with a M'96 rear sight. Now I am totally confused.
I think that i will I'll just toss down a couple of jiggers of Capt. 'whats is name' rum. then I'll not worry about it any more. :D

Himself, 1stazmilitia

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

1statzmilitia - model 1896, model 1901, or model 1902 rifle sights are all correct on your model 1898 Krag. (I love the U.S. model 1898 Krag- Jorgensen. Pick of the litter in my book).

Always, imbibe after shooting (your groups will improve) and have a Rum for me!

As we use to say in college: "Eschew Obfuscation".

I was always taught it was a virtue to communicate clearly and respectfully. It just takes more effort.

Mark_Daiute

Post by Mark_Daiute »

butlersrangers,
I stumbled across the above mentioned comments. As a newbe to the Krag family I was totally over whelmed :-/ I felt like sitting through a lecture on how the world was formed. Come on guys, give me(us) a break! >:( I am not a member of that forum, and probably will never join. I resent being talked down to.
Thanks.

1stazmilitia

2015 was a landmark year for me. I got Joe's Book. It was written for a horribly small readership. Us.

I study GojuRyu Karate. A fellow wrote a book about that. It was written for an astoundingly small readership.

I enjoyed both books thoroughly. It was like each book was written for me.

Joe states things in a clear no bones about it manner. He backs up what he says with fact. Do not confuse that with being talked down to.

Be patient. If you are a newbie then you have stepped into the middle of a very long saga. It is like being in a classroom. Buy his book and join the class. Or not.

Keep an open mind.

There's a shiteload of information to assimilate if you care about the big picture and the environment that produced the Krag.

A ton of that info is over on that sight.

Read or re-read the original post in this thread. Dick felt strong enough about this to pass on the fact that 5 is back He felt that it was important for people interested in Krags to know.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

To Dick Hosmer: Regarding your question on Culver's Krag Forum (and to save you pulling guns out of storage).

The 1898 and 1902 sight bases are readily identified while on a Krag by simply raising the leaf and checking the spring.

(FWIW - I don't think the U.S. Armories made use of the 1898 bases after the sight was removed from service. Loose 1898 bases were once a pretty common surplus item. I think a lot of '98-bottom/1902 or 1903RB-top 'hybrid sights' were created by Bannerman, Stoke Kirk, gunsmiths, hobbyists, and even Joe DeChristopher and S&S Firearms).ImageImage

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

I'll say this about Joe... He is meticulous with his research and the information he presents. Sometimes it can seem like he's a bit pompous and I think that's just his way... but there's no mistaking that he knows his stuff! Like Mark said, take it with a grain of salt and wade through the information. You'll be glad you did!

FWIW, there are a butt-ton of extremely knowledgeable people on both sites, including Mark, Dick and Chuck, three that I consider to be both experts and friends! I've never met Dick in person, but Mark and I have met up at Camp Perry, and Chuck (Butlersrangers) and I meet up often and have shot together a few times too.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Thanks Chuck - that's what I thought, but it doesn't pay to tilt at windmills with your lance hand tied behind you.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

Asked on Culver's but I'll put it here too. Wouldn't all they'd have needed to make use of the 98 ramps been a thicker slide? It would've been close, though not perfect.