1895/96 Magazine Carbine?

U.S. Military Krags
pappypete@aol.com

1895/96 Magazine Carbine?

Post by pappypete@aol.com »

I have a 1895 dated receiver serial # 24423. It is a carbine with a 22 inch barrel. It has an unaltered M1892 style receiver with an original unaltered 92 bolt, safety, cutoff and so on. The stock is an early type with a thin wrist and a sharp 1895 JSA cartouche. The carbine is in very good condition with considerable finish remaining. Just want to know if this gun is for real or a nice recreation. Image

butlersrangers

Re: 1895/96 Magazine Carbine?

Post by butlersrangers »

'pappypete' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

Your 1895 dated carbine certainly appears to have a model 1892 bolt.

However, is it possible that the right top of your receiver is 'notched', as in the attached photo, (for an extractor 'hold open pin')?

The early model 1896 carbines utilized 1895 dated receivers.Image

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

BTW - Krag #24423, is listed in Mallory's, "The Krag Rifle Story", 2nd. edition, as a model 1896 Rifle, issued in 1898, to Co. 'C', 4th Ohio Volunteer Infantry.

It would be interesting to see more photos of this 'carbine'. Especially, the front-sight & muzzle crown, rear-sight, and stock.

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

More pictures please.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

That would be a VERY low number for an original carbine.

How many cleaning rod holes in the butt trap - 2 or 3?

pappypete@aol.com

Sorry sent post before I was ready. Computer did it. I think I have figured out how to lower picture resolution so I can send photos. Serial # is 24432 don't think it is listed. There is no notch. Looks like an unaltered M1892 receiver I have two 92 rifles which are just about the same. Rounded muzzle and the stock is modified for oiler. Front sight does look right to me but I do not have another carbine to compare. I put a 96 carbine sight on the gun it had a 92 sight which I showed on one of the pics. ImageImageImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'pappypete' :

In your first post, you incorrectly reported your Krag's serial number, as #24423. That number was documented by Franklin Mallory, as a model 1896 rifle.

Your actual number, #24432, is not in the appendix tables in "The Krag Rifle Story", 2nd., edition.

Your Krag 'carbine' is beyond my area of experience and study. However, I am skeptical of a model 1896 carbine with a 'model 1892 action'.

To my eye, your photo seems to show a shiny spot on the right top of the receiver, where the 'hold-open notch' would be on a model 1896 carbine. (This could be reflection and illusion or a skillfully filled notch). Maybe it is a rub mark from a different bolt that had a 'hold-open pin'.

Definitely, your Krag is one that has to be viewed directly by a collector knowledgeable with model 1892 and model 1896 Krags. It 'breaks a few rules'. ImageImage

Jeremy T Garner

Post by Jeremy T Garner »

From my understanding the earliest authentic Krag carbine serial number was 24709 or 24708 somewhere in that area if my memory serves. I also recall the early Carbines were known as prototype 1892 carbines and I always assumed they would have been done on 92' actions. How much does the gun weigh? I think there was close to a 1lb difference in weight between the early prototype and type 1 carbine vs the later type 2. Though I also remember something about a few of the really early carbines had full length stocks?? Just a long shot here but could this be an early 1892 Krag Carbine prototype or early type 1? I concede it is beyond my expertise just like butlersranger but I thought I would chime in and get educated as well :)

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'pappypete' - There is a deep scratch or 'seam' on the left receiver wall just behind the serial number. Can you comment on this?

(I hope someone didn't join two receiver sections together).Image

pappypete@aol.com

Your skepticism is well founded. I noticed a scratch on another photo which I have since deleted. I am almost positive it is only a small scratch but unfortunately I am not home so I can not look at it until next week. I have looked at it many, many times and never noticed anything unusual. I bought this carbine over 20 years ago from an nice old gentleman who said he had been collecting krags for over 40 years. I had no clue it was unusual I just wanted a nice carbine. He sent me a nice letter after I bought it detailing the unusual features.