Stranger in the Mess

U.S. Military Krags
1stazmilitia

Stranger in the Mess

Post by 1stazmilitia »

Gentleman,
As a long time collector, and shooter of US military firearms I must confess to you to ignoring the venerable Krag. That is until April Fools Day, when I walked into a small gun shop here in the central highlands of Arizona. I could not believe my eyes. There on the wall were two(2) lovely Krags. One rifle M'98, and one M'98 carbine. Both are NRA very good to fine. I am sorry but at this time I am unable to post photos as my stock took a vote, and decided that they would prefer a new stock tank to getting their pictures took.
Now the carbine. Stock is indeed a carbine stock with the '99 upper hand guard. The wood is absolutely beautiful with a deep 1901 date stamp. All metal in 90%. Bore is in great condition. The serial number is as follows:149873. I really suspect that this is actually a cut down rifle. However, I did mic the muzzle,and using my copy of Pitmans Notes the muzzle diameter is correct for a carbine. If the barrel had been cut down wouldn't the diameter of the muzzle be larger? Now for the down side. The '96 rear sight is a rifle pattern, and the front sight looks to be correct, but it does look to have been buggered with.
Any information on the arm would be greatly appreciated. I will post the information on the M'98 rifle later. Thanks.

1stAzMilitia

butlersrangers

Re: Stranger in the Mess

Post by butlersrangers »

'1stazmilitia' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

Krag Carbine and Rifle barrels have the same taper and measure the same diameter, 22 inches from the breech end.

Only about 5,000 model 1898 carbines were made at Springfield. Krag #147893 is not in the serial number range for 1898 Krag carbines.

As you are suspecting, it sounds likely that you have a cut-down '98 rifle (made around November, 1898), that someone put in a model 1899 carbine stock (given the 1901 cartouche).

A Krag front-sight base, carbine and rifle, should be very cleanly mounted with an almost invisible dove-tail and brazing.ImageImage

1stazmilitia

Post by 1stazmilitia »

Hello Butlersrangers,
Thank you for your comments on my newly acquired Krag carbine/rifle. I was fairly sure from the git go that it was a cut down rifle, but the condition was just to nice to pass up, and at the price I could not pass on it. Besides I actually only wanted the M'98 rifle. I forgot to mention that along with both guns I got 800 rnds. of new WW 220 grain round nose bullets in two custom made Krag ammo boxes!
I will be posting photos of everything later today.
Thanks again for your help.

-1stazmilitia

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Welcome to the forum, and to the wonderful world of Krags! You'll find that they are the smoothest operating firearms ever created, and shooting them is pure joy! Can't wait to see the pictures...

But... be forewarned - Krags have a nasty habit of multiplying when you're not looking.

Paul

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Shortened' Krag rifles are fun to shoot. You may find that your 'faux carbine' is your favorite Krag at the Range!

S.B.

Post by S.B. »

Welcome to the forum.
Steve
The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

800 rounds of Krag ammo in the deal is very good as both Winchester and Remington have said they're no longer going to make it! Wanna sell some brass? Guys are paying around a buck a piece for range brass, not knowing how many times it's been fired and reloaded.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'1stazmilitia' requested help in posting pictures of his two model 1898 Krags and invites observations and comment.

First, pictures of a very nice appearing 1898 rifle from 1900:ImageImageImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

More pictures of '1stazmilitia's rifle:

(I'm not seeing anything wrong with this beauty, except maybe a "c" marking, on the right side of the front sight blade).ImageImageImageImage

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

MAN... She's a beauty!!! Has she been taken out and permitted to sing yet? This one should make an appearance at Perry in the Roosevelt Match!