Stranger in the Mess

U.S. Military Krags
1stazmilitia

Re: Stranger in the Mess

Post by 1stazmilitia »

Gentlemen,
I must apologize for my delay in responding. Been quite busy starting up our 1st Ariz. Inf'y living history unit.
Now, you comments are much appreciated. My new M1898 rifle will again see active service, especially with 800 rnds.of .30 US that came with the rifle.
I do have one question that has been bothering me. Why the retrograde to a M1896 rear sight?
I would love to come east to compete at Camp Perry, but unfortunately that is not possible. I do however compete at the CMP games down in Phoenix. Normally I shoot my RIA, '03, but this fall I will be carrying my M1898, and be in the field uniform of the 1st Ariz. Inf'y ca. 1905.
Again, thanks for you help.

1st Ariz. Inf'y

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'1stazmilitia' - (quick explanation):

Your model 1898 Krag rifle, #270971, was probably built around June/July, 1900.

In March, 1900, U.S. Ordnance discontinued a 'hotter', 2,200 fps, version of the .30-40 round, due to a 'cracked locking lug problem' in rifles. There was a return to the 2,000 fps version of the .30-40 round.

The model 1898, (three "v" notch), "Dickson Sight" was calibrated for the higher velocity ammo. This sight was abandoned and there was a return to the model 1896 sight.

Your rifle seems to fall in this 'window'. (The return to the model 1896 sight).

Eventually, the model 1901 and model 1902 sights were introduced, but, your rifle appears to have escaped these updates.

(p.s. Is there a small 'c' on the right-side of your front sight blade or is that just dust and grease)? ImageImage

1stazmilitia

Post by 1stazmilitia »

-Hello butlersrangers,
Dust you say? grease??? Nary a spot could I find, or even a 'c'. I believe that what you are seeing is possibly wear from the bayonet That's interesting about the ammo. The ole girl is now sporting a Turners Sling, M1877. she's full dress now. Well almost, still looking for that elusive brass muzzle cover.

-1stazmilitia

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

My discriminating eye sees some residue deposit where the front blade enters the slotted base.

There also appears to be something on the right side of that blade.

Clean that rifle soldier! ... or face hours of 'pack drill'.ImageImage

1stazmilitia

Post by 1stazmilitia »

-butlersrangers,
Yes sir! I can now see the crud now. I only have my personal tooth brush to clean the front sight, but it will be done sir. BTW, you have a striking resemblance to a certain 3rd class BM who yelled obsenaties at me for twelve weeks of boot camp. :-/
Do you have any ideas where one might dig up one of the brass sight covers-------- reasonably ?

-1st azmilitia

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

1st azmilitia:

All I can recommend is search gun shows and ebay for a good price on a Krag rifle Brass muzzle cover/sight protector.

IMHO - $65.00 is a great price. 'Movieman30' (Joe DeChristopher's grandson) is selling them for $85.00.

FWIW - S&S Firearms, Glendale, N.Y., appears to offer a replica for around $30. (I would not risk loosing an original while 'reenacting' or doing 'Living History').

If you know "Mr. Peabody and his boy Sherman", he might send you to 1930's Philidelphia in his "way back machine" and you can get a bunch of them at a nickel apiece!ImageImage

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Hell... Why not use the Way Back Machine and go back and buy a Krag or two for a few bucks a piece while we're at it!!!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Whoa Paul, don't be messing too much with that Time Continuum Thingy!

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

This is heavy Doc!Image

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Talk about "stranger in the mess" .... Be sure to take some of your 220 grain Hornadys, Paul!!!

....and Chargers ... no need for muzzle covers!!Image