Uncle's Model 1898

U.S. Military Krags
Upstart50

Uncle's Model 1898

Post by Upstart50 »

A handful of years ago I took possession of my uncle's Krag Model 1898 Serial# 275763 from my dear old uncle. He had inherited it from my grandfather. I have not fired it - and would not do so before taking it to a knowledgeable gunsmith. It is carbine length most likely cut down.

It had been stored upright so there is substantial rust on the butt plate and a bit of what appears to be moisture damage on one side of the butt.

Other than that, it appears to be in good shape and the action is smooth and the barrel is clean inside.

Any opinions of what I have here?

Thanks to all.ImageImageImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Re: Uncle's Model 1898

Post by butlersrangers »

'Upstart50' - Welcome to the KCA Forum. You have a nice family heirloom.

Krag, #275783, would be a model 1898 rifle, produced around August, 1900. Your Krag has the model 1902 rear-sight (rifle version). In the early 1900s, most model 1898 Krags had their rear-sights 'updated'.

How long is your Krag's barrel? If you post a picture of your front-sight and barrel crown, we can tell you more. (As issued, a Krag rifle barrels measures 30 inches from muzzle to closed bolt face).

Your stock is a cut-down rifle stock. Your wood appears quite solid and most of your metal looks nice. Some linseed oil and turpentine (mixed 50/50) might revitalize that water stained area.

Hoppe's #9, a soak in Kerosene, penetrating oil, or that 50/50 wood mix might loosen up the rust scale on your butt-plate and side-plate. Soak the rust areas and scrape the heavy scale with the edge of a copper penny. Finish up the rust areas with a pad of #0000 steel wool soaked with Hoppe's. Strive for a nice patina - Not Shiny bare metal.

Upstart50

Post by Upstart50 »

Thank you so much for the feedback Butlers. You know your Krags. Great tips on the rust management too!

The barrel measures 24" so it is definitely not a true carbine length.

I'm currently on a hangun kick so was thinking of making the rifle available to a good home if it would be worth the effort. Do you think there's a market for a modified Krag such as this?

Let me know if more pictures would helpImageImageImage

Upstart50

Post by Upstart50 »

Pix of the crownImageImage

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

U50, welcome to our corner of twisted Americana.

In my family, we make a big deal of passing things from one generation to the next. Most recently, my Granny's piano stool went to my granddaughter, with the instructions to pass it on to her grandchildren.

You have a multi-generational Krag (with no paper trail 8-)), of which you are the present custodian. It's OK that it is a cut-down rifle. What did it do during the Depression? Time to ask some questions. Even if it goes back to the basement, it is a family heirloom. If no family, maybe pass it on to some deserving kid, one who may be able to tell you something about it.

Way better than to have it going to a gun show table with a $250 tag, overlooked by numberless camo-clad types who have not a clue.

Mark_Daiute

Post by Mark_Daiute »

I like this rifle. Nice wood and it will clean up nicely.

I understand the sentiment that say's keep it in the family on the other hand no sense in a nice rifle going back to the basement. It should be appreciated and used.

This has nice wood, nice handguard. If you have no love for it and want pistols, put it on GB and expect to get 350 or more, especially so since it has the handguard. Someone may cherish it.

That's my .02.

If I was not knee deep in taxes right now I would offer to buy it.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Upstart50' - Definitely a cut-down rifle barrel.

Pictures of front-sight reveal the original base was 'reused'. The barrel length (24") is non-standard and the front-sight base is not attached as Springfield Armory would do. Barrel is nicely crowned, but, not S.A. crown.

Somebody turned your Grandfather's Krag into a practical 'Hunting' rifle. It would be fun to shoot with standard ammo loaded for the Krag's metallurgy.

If the bore is decent, (and cleaned of grease and crud), and the bolt locking lug shows no evidence of being cracked, I would not hesitate to shoot it.

(IMHO - Many 'gunsmiths' these days are not at all knowledgeable about Krags and other old firearms and their 'inspection' is rather worthless).

If you were to sell it, it is likely someone would 'break it down' and sell it for 'Parts'. This seems to be occurring at an alarming rate in the 'age of ebay'.

Upstart50

Post by Upstart50 »

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I have a much clearer picture of what I have here. What a wonderful forum.

I also appreciate the varied opinions of how to move forward with it. I have a diverse assortment of family heirlooms and limited space. That is why I am exploring options. If anyone out there is looking to add a Krag such as this to their collection or has suggestions for me (i.e., gunbroker.com), I'm all ears.

Pardon the distortion of the pix. Gives the end of the barrel quite an angled appearance.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

It's interesting that the barrel is 24 inches and has the Krag post reattached. My sporter is the same, 24 inch with the Krag post attached... and I have seen others too. I wonder if they were all done by the same firm? Mine has a Bishop stock on it, but it's still a very practical hunting rifle (although I no longer hunt, and only shoot it occasionally these days with Cast bullets).

Once it's cleaned up, it should be a great shooter!!!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

FWIW - I think re-attached Krag front sights, on 'Sportered' Krags, was wide spread 'Depression Make Do' - Labor was cheap, money was tight, and new parts cost money!