1898 Krag stock

U.S. Military Krags
Big Mike

1898 Krag stock

Post by Big Mike »

Hi All, I just recently purchased a pristine 1898 Krag & had it shipped to my FFL. The rifle arrived with a broken stock courtesy of the shipping company. >:( A claim has been filed for damages but in the meantime I am going to need to locate a replacement stock. Can anyone give me some info on where I might can get one? Thanks, MikeImageImageImage

psteinmayer

Re: 1898 Krag stock

Post by psteinmayer »

Repair the stock! You can use structural epoxy with some dowels added for strength... and done correctly, will be practically undetectable and probably last another hundred years!

Big Mike

Post by Big Mike »

What kind of structural epoxy? A 2 part? Any particular brand?

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

A 2-part epoxy would be best. I would stay away from Gorilla glue, as that can expand within the grain and cause problems. I repaired my cracked stock last year, and posted the effort on here. Here's a link to the thread: http://www.kragcollectorsassociation.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1428247357/0 If you look, you'll see a picture of the epoxy I used, which should be available from any woodworkers (were I got it) or marine/boat store.

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

If the primary concern is strength (for shooting) epoxy will provide a very strong bond. It will, however, leave a visible glue line for all to see.

If a less conspicuous joint is desired, the best choice is old-fashioned hot hide glue (the kind used by luthiers to make invisible repairs on high-value fiddles). It's very strong in shear, but is brittle and can fail under tensile impact (like using your Krag to deliver a horizontal butt-stroke). Thin cyanoacrilate ("Super Glue") is almost as inconspicuous and somewhat stronger, but still not fully impact-resistant.

Any wrist repair of this nature can be made much stronger by boring a blind hole back from the receiver inletting after the initial repair has set completely. A walnut dowel is then fitted to the hole and epoxied in place, providing mechanical strength as well as significant added bonding surface. (The dowel must ordinarily be scored or fluted before final insertion to allow air and excess glue to escape from the blind hole.)

img

Once the glue has set, the exposed end of the dowel is carved to match the original inletting.

MPF

Post by MPF »

As to your original question. I would try watch Gunbroker and Ebay. I think there is one on eBay now. Some of the veterans on the group might have other sources for stocks. Just don't let the freight company off the hook by letting them pay you for the cost of a newly produced replacement stock.

If the shipping company is going to foot the bill I would find a replacement stock. Then repair this one as a project.

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

Look in the classified stickies, two KCA founding members offer original parts for sale and might have a stock or a lead on one!!!

Jeremy T Garner

Post by Jeremy T Garner »

I have a very large collector in my area and I will check with him for you and see if he has anything or a line on a stock. I just went through his last lot of acquisitions and picked up two 1887 slings, an absolute gem of an early 1895 bayonet, and a muzzle cover and didn't see any stocks or even handguards for that matter. He hits several gun shows and buys out many private collections so he is always bringing in new inventory. Furthermore my sincerest condolences and apologies for your predicament! That must have been absolutely miserable to open the box and see that. I'm truly sorry partner.

Big Mike

Post by Big Mike »

Absolutely sickening to be honest. I thought that I was gonna puke on the spot. :'(

craigster

Post by craigster »

Titebond III wood glue. Good luck with your damage claim, you'll probably need it.