My New 1898

U.S. Military Krags
USMCCollector

My New 1898

Post by USMCCollector »

I picked up a Model 1898 at a local gun show this weekend, serial number 289098, with a 1902 Cartouche. The rifle (photos attached) has a 1901 rear sight. According to my short research my rifle was produced early in the 1901 fiscal year, and after August 1901 when they started with that sight. Is there anyway for me to look up when the rifle was actually produced?

This rifle filled a hole in my collection and any information would be helpful. I'm striving for all long arms and hand guns the Marines have used over the history of the Corps, or as close as I can get with a C&R license, and I like to have as much info as I can on the individual weapon, as well as the for the model in general.

I'll send additional photos in separate posts.

USMCCollector

Re: My New 1898

Post by USMCCollector »

Serial numberImage

USMCCollector

Post by USMCCollector »

CartoucheImage

USMCCollector

Post by USMCCollector »

Proof Stamp.

Anyone have knowledge of what the Initials are by the proof stamp? They appear to be F.D.P.Image

USMCCollector

Post by USMCCollector »

Rear SightImage

USMCCollector

Post by USMCCollector »

That's the last of my photos unless someone wants something specific. Also, please don't ding me on the sling or cleanliness - I took the photos right after I got it into my shop. I know the sling is wrong, and I'm cleaning (gently) the rifle.

As an aside, I now need a sling, bayonet and scabbard correct for this rifle (could be older of earlier model, but not newer). Would prefer bayonet and scabbard to be authentic if I can get it, but the sling can be a repro as I'll use it.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'USMCCollector' - Welcome to the KCA Forum and congratulations on obtaining your nice Krag.

It is likely U.S. Model 1898 rifle #298089 was assembled around Nov.- Dec. 1900. U. S. Krags were not built or accepted for service in numerical order. The receivers were numbered and went into parts bins. They were pulled out arbitrarily, so dating is approximate.

It is likely your Krag was 're-furbished' (most were), so your 1902 acceptance cartouche date does not agree with the receiver's 'date range'. During Arsenal repair and rebuild a rifle is likely to have been taken apart, parts inspected, good parts put into bins, and rifles assembled from mixed parts. The 1901 rear sight was the sight preferred on Krags in use by the regular Army after 1905. (It is likely 1902 sights came to be on NG rifles after 1905). Rear-sights and hand-guards got 'updated' and switched. They are an interesting part of Krag history.

The initials in your cartouche are "J.S.A.", for Joseph Sumner Adams, Foreman at Springfield Armory from about 1892 until around 1904. (He was still doing some inspection duties during WW1). The little initials by the 'circle P' are those of a Stock Fitter or Stock Inspector (looks like RDR or KDR to me).

The Krag remained in U.S. and National Guard service until sold off in the 1920s. Krags were widely used in 'Training' during WW1.

Mark_Daiute

Post by Mark_Daiute »

once the rifle was "accepted" into service why would it have another (in this case 1902) acceptance stamp after a re-build?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Mark: It is not a 2nd acceptance stamp.

It is likely this stock was from a different rifle, that was accepted in 1902. It was put on a barreled action from 1900 by Springfield, another Arsenal or Depot, a National Guard Armorer, or someone else(?).

It is likely there was a period when 'rebuilding' or repair was not marked on Krag stocks.

Franklin Mallory's research led him to write: "Around 1908, the practice of placing a special mark on rifles cleaned and repaired at government arsenals was initiated. This mark consists of the letter 'A' for Springfield and a series of letters ('B', 'B'{sic}, 'C', etc.) for Manila Ordnance Depot." (The Krag Rifle Story, 2nd edition, page 191).

Occasionally, you will see a Krag stock with duplicate "P" stamps behind the trigger guard.

There are other Krag stocks with a small 'ordnance crossed canon' or small 'Eagle Head' stamp that suggest work or inspection around WW1 period.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Hi... Welcome to the forum, and to the wonderful world of Krags! You're in good company here.

As for the bayonet and scabbard, usually gun shows are A good place to start. You could look at eBay, or Gunbroker... but people tend to charge what THEY value, as opposed to actual value (some people always think their stuff is made of solid gold).

Now for the sling: you have a US Web sling, which is not period correct for a Krag, but IS legal to use for CMP Matches. If you want a correct sling, there is two routes you can go, and both are period correct. The first would be an 1887 Trapdoor sling, which is what was used on Krags also. The second is a 1907 sling, which first appeared on 1903 Springfields, and Krags still in service right up to, and during the Great War (WW1). If you intend on shooting in CMP Matches, I would highly suggest a 1907, which is what most of us use. Check out Turner Saddlery, which has about the best slings available. Their slings are manufactured on equipment acquired from Rock Island Arsenal and are up to exact US military standards. A Correct 1907 is 48 inches, but for competition, it's better to get a National Match sling (exactly the same but stronger) in 50 inches. Turner's also offers an 1887 sling.

If you do intend on shooting in the National Matches at Camp Perry, let us know as there is usually a bunch of us from this forum who shoot there also.

Best regards
Paul