Best replacement stock

U.S. Military Krags
raceratb

Best replacement stock

Post by raceratb »

Considering how much the original stocks go for on eBay, I'm thinking it might make more financial sense to get a reproduction rifle stock and sell mine. Who makes the best one, I've seen Boyd's, Macon, Dunlap and timber ridge carving. Any thoughts on who makes the best, or if something is to be avoided at all costs

reincarnated

Re: Best replacement stock

Post by reincarnated »

In all seriousness, if you have decided to go for a replacement stock, does anyone make a laminated wood job in strange colors? If I wanted a knock-about Krag, (I'm too old) I would consider one.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

If you are considering a replacement... Boyd's are what most go with... however, beware - Boyd's stocks are usually very rough and require a ton of work to fit to the action. I've even heard one person state that it looked like his stock was carved with a chain saw!

Now... as far as a laminated stock goes, if you ever intend to shoot this Krag in a sanctioned CMP match, whether at Camp Perry, or even a local CMP match, it will be a disqualifying modification. As issued means that any replacement parts, including the stock, must conform to the original specifications. In other words, if you buy an aftermarket rear sight, it must be exactly like an original. A Boyd's stock, or another replacement in walnut that matches an original would be acceptable.

If you just want something to bang away at a range, or hunt with... you could always get a sporter stock... which a laminated stock would be no different.

raceratb

Post by raceratb »

The Boyd's looked pretty rough, anyone have experience with the other options

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Probably the best option is to shop around for a good 'cut-down' original stock and splice on a quality reproduction forearm.

There are a couple of parts vendors and a hand-guard/forearm maker advertised in the KCA Forum classifieds. The parts vendors have original wood - IIRC.

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

If you want a reproduction stock http://gunstockduplicating.com/index.html are the best, not the cheapest but the best!