Manila Ordnance Depot ordnance stamp?

U.S. Military Krags
RLD

Manila Ordnance Depot ordnance stamp?

Post by RLD »

I posted this in an older thread by mistake. Got there by doing an internet wide search and forgot where I was. DUH

Any help on the following would be appreciated.

Does anyone have a source or any pictures of the ordnance stamps used by this facility? In question is a very small cross cannons stamp (1/4" max) and any info on stamps of alpha characters used to designate this facility.

Thanks,

Robert

butlersrangers

Re: Manila Ordnance Depot ordnance stamp?

Post by butlersrangers »

'RLD' - Welcome to the KCA forum. You pose a question that is interesting to me. I think there is a lot of 'head scratching' and not a lot of material about Stock Markings that were put on Krag Stocks, after 1903.

I do not have specific knowledge of markings used at the Manila Ordnance Depot.

I have seen the 'small crossed-cannons' marking with 'CA' on a Krag Stock. (I suspect this is an inspection stamp used at one of the depots cleaning, reconditioning, and readying Krags for service, during preparations for WW1).

The 'cross cannons' are shown with some 1903 Springfield 'reconditioning cartouches' in Brophey's book "The Springfield 1903 Rifles".

(Photo of Krag Stock with crossed cannons. Also note, earlier "J.S.A. - 1902" cartouche.):Image

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Franklin Mallory, "The Krag Rifle Story", 2nd edition, page 191, made mention of late stock markings. (It does not seem the 'system' was entirely clear in his mind).

What about Benicia, Rock Island, etc.?

I suspect there was a lot of rush and improvising in the preparation of Krags for WW1. Image

cdagnese

Post by cdagnese »

The only stamp I've seen that was used by the Manila Depot was on a 1903 Springfield. They marked the stock on the left part of the wrist. It was marked with PODD in a rectangle with very squared off corners.