Model 1896 rife question

U.S. Military Krags
Silver fox

Model 1896 rife question

Post by Silver fox »

I am a new member and have just acquired a model 1896. The action barrel and all the hardware is in very fine shape. My problem is the stock has been cut down just past the sling swivel. The stock has very good cartouches including the year mark of 1897. I have been unable to locate another original stock and I don't want to put a new stock on it. I have seen a replacement stock piece advertised that would bring the stock back to original length. Would this be the best solution or should I keep looking for an original stock?

psteinmayer

Re: Model 1896 rife question

Post by psteinmayer »

Does it still have the hand guard? Also, has the barrel been cut? You could obtain a new front piece and graft it on to your existing stock to restore the original length (many have done this before). Original stocks are out there, but sometimes command a hefty sum...

Silver fox

Post by Silver fox »

The barrel has not been cut, it is still the original length. The upper hand guard is intact. The graft solution would appear to be the least expensive and I would be maintaining the bulk of the original stock which does have the cartouches and is in excellent shape. Anybody out there have good stock for sale? Thanks for the reply.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'silver fox' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

If you can post some close-up detail pictures, you will get better information and guidance.

It does sound like a 'spliced forearm' under the rear barrel-band is the best way for you to go.

You will need the forearm blank, a front-barrel band and screw.Image

Silver fox

Post by Silver fox »

butlers rangers: Thank you for the reply and the welcome. I do have the front barrel band which includes the bayonet lug. Whoever cut down the stock cut in down in a manner that they slid the front band/bayonet lug down to 6" forward of the hand guard band. I would like to post a picture but my wife took the digital camera down state to visit the grandkids. Thank you. I did see a repair piece on a site called " Gun Broker" when I queried Krag stock. Silver fox

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'silver fox' - I'm glad you have the front barrel-band and hand-guard for your model 1896 Krag rifle. That saves you a lot of money and makes 'stretching' your stock a great option.

Here is a graphic that someone, (possibly 'parashooter'), posted on KCA years ago. It makes suggestions for a strong splice.Image

Mark_Daiute

Post by Mark_Daiute »

this is the latest Krag that I have stretched back out to full length using the methods shown by ButlersRangers. I like to think it passes the 10 foot test. Most of us would not look twice at it from a distance of 10 feet. Up close the average Joe is going to see a nice Krag, the more discerning eye is going to to say "wait a minute, take of that barrel band!"

My thanks to 5 Mad Farmers for providing the proper finish.ImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Good looking model 1896, Mark, and interesting 'gun cleaning' technique!

"Discerning Eye"Image

Mark_Daiute

Post by Mark_Daiute »

This Krag turned into a gem. I was sold on the 1901 rear sight but this rifle is right on and I can use the sights on it, the 1901 site is getting hard for my presbyoptic eyes.

I would say that the forearms that I have received from East Taylor LLC have been better than this one. This one cost less but next time I will be sure to go to East Taylor.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

I agree, the ones from E. Taylor are better made. Communication from the gunbroker seller doesn't happen. In order to match his diameter I had to splice about the middle of the band, I was lucky and had that excess. It took some pre-planning to get things to match up right. As delivered, the gunbroker seller's was too small at the back. I offered my feedback and heard nothing back from him.