Diasembling 1898 Krag Rifle

U.S. Military Krags
Titus

Diasembling 1898 Krag Rifle

Post by Titus »

Hello. I am trying to get the rifle bands off of my 1898 Springfield Krag. I have read on line that you have to slip the bands over the front sight. When I try to do this the front band doesn't have enough clearance to make it over the sight. Does anyone know how to get the bands off? I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

98src

Re: Diasembling 1898 Krag Rifle

Post by 98src »

I think it will go over if you remove the stock first. Of course you will need to slide the band forward off the stock.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Normally, the front band is left loose on the barrel, when disassembling a model 1898 Krag rifle for extensive cleaning and Stock removal.

If for some reason the front band needs to be removed, the sight blade is too tall for this to happen. It is necessary to remove the front sight blade from its base. This is done by driving the small tapered pin (left to right) out of the sight base.

Once the pin is removed, the blade can be removed from the base (it may be a little tight from friction and dried grease & oil). The front band can then be removed.

(Note - The model 1896 Krag originally had a shorter sight blade, so it may not be a problem removing the front band with the short blade left in place). ImageImage

Titus

Post by Titus »

Thanks very much. I tried to drive the pin out of the front sight but I was doing it right to left. I will try left to right. One other question. If I stretch the rear band over the stock, without removing the front sight, will it damage the band?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Titus': The Krag rear barrel-band can be stretched slightly in order to pass over the pin that goes through the stock. (The Stock pin prevents the 'clamped' band from moving forward during Firing).

However, it would be a bad thing to stretch the rear barrel-band excessively.

Also note, the rear-band cannot pass over the front-band, due to the lobes for the front 'Stacking-Swivel'.

What exactly is it that you wish to accomplish?

The Stock can be removed with the barrel-bands all the way forward. Some 'Masking Tape' will hold them from sliding around.

The front sight blade needs to be removed to take model 1898 rifle barrel-bands off.ImageImageImage