U.S. Military Krags
th

i recently purchased a krag serial#5194 is it a ca

Post by th »

I recently purchased a krag serial #5194 is it a carbine? new to krags

butlersrangers

Re: i recently purchased a krag serial#5194 is it a ca

Post by butlersrangers »

Krag #5192 would have to have been built as a model 1892 rifle. It would have been built around Oct. 1894, before the Krag carbine came to be.

th

Post by th »

can u tell me what I have ?&approx. value paid $180

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

As Chuck said, it is apparently (since you asked if it was a carbine the barrel must be short) a Model 1892 rifle, made in 1894, which has been cut down for hunting and is no longer original, if the barrel is less than 30" long.

As to the price, it all depends on whether or not the seller knew anything about what he had. You either got a flat-out steal, or, it must be a really ugly job of shortening. If you could post some pictures, we can give you a much better idea.

I will say that it would have to be a real disaster to not be worth at least twice what you paid, just for whatever salvageable parts might be on it.

th

th

Post by th »

I will send pictures overall krag is in good shape worked done looks to be amory

th

th

Post by th »

Krug picturesImage

th

th

Post by th »

Here are some picturesImage

th

Post by th »

Some pictures Image

th

Post by th »

Some pictures Image

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'th' - Welcome to the KCA Forum. I think I forgot my manners on my first response.

It appears to me from your photos that you have what is referred to as a 'Bannerman Sporter'.

Francis Bannerman & Sons was a huge New York surplus arms dealer. The company was in business from the 1870s to the 1950s. Bannerman sold military surplus to hunters, collectors, and could even arm countries. The old Bannerman catalogs (and reprints) are an amazing source of information and some misinformation. Eventually for Safety, Bannerman built an island warehouse and home, 'Bannerman's Arsenal', far up the Hudson River. They continued to have a N.Y. Store.

Bannerman sold a lot of surplus Krags and Krag parts cheap. When Krags ran out, they cobbled together parts guns. When Krag Stocks and barrels were gone, they patched and improvised with 1903 Springfield Stocks. They also shortened and re-chambered 1903 Springfield barrels.

I believe you have a model 1892 Krag rifle that was updated by Springfield to model 1896.

After U.S. Service, your rifle barrel was shortened and a 1903 Springfield banded-sight was put on. Your rear sight is the 1902 Krag rear-sight (damaged). Your Krag appears to have been put into an altered 1903 Springfield Stock, as done by Bannerman's. Such Krags are a curiosity, but, have little value beyond utility and parts. Few collectors will want one. (Attached pictures of 'Bannerman rifle' and 'Bannerman Island' ruins).ImageImageImageImage